Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIATM SpedeMix
Here's my mix from "For I Am The Moon". I'll admit it: it wasn't easy. I actually ended up editing the whole thing together. Hopefully the beatboxes make any sense as they are here Smile I'm assuming the reason for so many vocal takes (with different singers even) is because in the end this is a mic showcase; I ended up using just one of the performances as it is. The middle-8 part seemed really weird and "lack-of-ideas"-y so I ended up making quite weird sounding in order to have some musical dynamics when we return to the last verse.

.m4a    For_I_Am_The_Moon_SpedeMix.m4a --  (Download: 4.61 MB)

(06-09-2013, 11:45 AM)Spede Wrote: Here's my mix from "For I Am The Moon". I'll admit it: it wasn't easy. I actually ended up editing the whole thing together. Hopefully the beatboxes make any sense as they are here Smile I'm assuming the reason for so many vocal takes (with different singers even) is because in the end this is a mic showcase; I ended up using just one of the performances as it is. The middle-8 part seemed really weird and "lack-of-ideas"-y so I ended up making quite weird sounding in order to have some musical dynamics when we return to the last verse.

In general, I liked yours mix! Maybe to little 3D! Cool

Nice job, the lead sits really well with the rest of the mix. Yes, the middle 8 was strange indeed, but I think you did a nice job with the filter, gives contrast to the rest of the track.
brilliant!!! I love it!!!
mixing since April 2013
Sounds great here Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(06-09-2013, 11:45 AM)Spede Wrote: Here's my mix from "For I Am The Moon". I'll admit it: it wasn't easy. I actually ended up editing the whole thing together. Hopefully the beatboxes make any sense as they are here Smile I'm assuming the reason for so many vocal takes (with different singers even) is because in the end this is a mic showcase; I ended up using just one of the performances as it is. The middle-8 part seemed really weird and "lack-of-ideas"-y so I ended up making quite weird sounding in order to have some musical dynamics when we return to the last verse.

Interesting ! Smile
(06-09-2013, 11:45 AM)Spede Wrote: The middle-8 part seemed really weird and "lack-of-ideas"-y so I ended up making quite weird sounding in order to have some musical dynamics when we return to the last verse.

hi there,

this mix took a lot of time, just sorting out which tracks to use was a mission on it's own! i fully agree with you about the middle bit. my solution was to drink a cup of coffee. if you fast forward my mix to 2:30 you'll see what effect his had.

my motto when faced with something ugly...mute it, or copy/paste some bits from elsewhere in the song and fix it. unfortunately, i didn't think your solution worked for the genre, nor the song but it was a difficult problem to resolve, granted.

just a few other points that might help...
i thought i was sitting on top of the Djembe here, so close it was in my face. this proximity left me feeling uncomfortable. same with the bass gtr. i think the problem lies in panning, levels, compression and most of all the lack of ambiance which would create that spacial feeling of realness in which the musicians are performing - if the recordings are tracked dry, you need to work hard at creating this space artificially. generally speaking, i couldn't position the musicians here when i closed my eyes. no picture, just audio which didn't make sense. check out the Ukulele for example.

i loved the lead vocal here, it was really beautiful.

cheers! bigDave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!