Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Sascha' lost in space
I have had these multi tracks loaded into reaper to a couple of years now and thought it was time to turn them into a song.

lost in space, well hopefully not, but I have applied more pushed reverbs to this mix than I think I have to any other.

This is a great track. I love the project studio qualities it contains. The contrasting guitar parts with killer tones that play off each other just makes this one a fun multi to mix. I've replaced the snare and kick drum with samples. I also did not use the room mic tracks nor the bass amp track. I tried to resound this into something along the lines of Kings Of Leon and the sorts. I used the album "Better Days" by "Regret the Hour" as loose referencing and styling.
Love the song! Thanks to Mike and Dunning Kruger for these multitracks. More people need to have a go at this one. Thanks for listening. Comments welcome.

Dave.

Update 26-10-18 Mix#2 added. Alterations to the vocal sections as per Deliza critique. I have narrowed the guitars for the first vocal part and added some distortion to the second vox part. I feel the second part could do with something extra still, but at this stage I'm not sure what. I think the narrowing of the guitars worked quite well in contrast with the stereo vocal. So thank you Deliza.Big Grin

.mp3    DunningKruger_Sascha_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.99 MB)

.mp3    DunningKruger_Sascha_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.09 MB)

Good evening, Dave! I haven't tried this one (or listened to any more mixes, even), so I won't be much help, but whatever.
Basic drum kit sounds killer and I'd never know there are sample triggering at all if you didn't say. It reminds me of early Suede's drum sound which I've always craved for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6T5hOanO1A

Toms ain't impressive (especially the hitom panned left), but they do their job. Bass gels great too.

The mix doesn't feel swampy or distant at all, reverb choices are just spot on. If only, I'd say that short leading vocal passage is a little dry and lowend lacking, it could use some "studio magic" to help make it more imposing. I'm not a fan of twin panned guitars, but it works here with this unconventional structure, though I'm thinking what would happen if you make the guitars more mono for the amount of time the backing vocals are doing their thing, and then back to stereo when the LV comes in.

I may have dived too much into the nitpicking, whatever... this is some pro, song-fitting mix. I can't imagine the band not liking it.

Hi Dave you did a great job with the samples, excellent mix.
Reaper user
(07-10-2018, 09:55 PM)Deliza Wrote: Good evening, Dave! I haven't tried this one (or listened to any more mixes, even), so I won't be much help, but whatever.
Basic drum kit sounds killer and I'd never know there are sample triggering at all if you didn't say. It reminds me of early Suede's drum sound which I've always craved for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6T5hOanO1A

Toms ain't impressive (especially the hitom panned left), but they do their job. Bass gels great too.

The mix doesn't feel swampy or distant at all, reverb choices are just spot on. If only, I'd say that short leading vocal passage is a little dry and lowend lacking, it could use some "studio magic" to help make it more imposing. I'm not a fan of twin panned guitars, but it works here with this unconventional structure, though I'm thinking what would happen if you make the guitars more mono for the amount of time the backing vocals are doing their thing, and then back to stereo when the LV comes in.

I may have dived too much into the nitpicking, whatever... this is some pro, song-fitting mix. I can't imagine the band not liking it.

Thanks for the detailed comments Deliza.

I'm super pleased you approve of the drums. They were samples from EZdrummer and I can't even tell you what they were. I just jumped around until I found what I liked and what worked with the remaining sound left from the overheads. I don't generally do a lot using samples.

Interesting thought with the panned guitars with the stereo vocal part. It's worth a try I reckon, even if to help mix things up a bit and give extra emphasis to that vocal section.
I do like the way the final vocal enters the mix centre and strong(proceeding the panned vox), but do agree it could do with some more impact. Something to work on.

Thanks again Deliza, valued comments as always.Big Grin
(08-10-2018, 04:55 AM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave you did a great job with the samples, excellent mix.

Thanks as always CudjoeBig Grin

Dave
Mix#2 added based on Deliza thoughts on the vocal arrangement and guitar panning. Big Grin
Wow, nice job, listened to both in the cans and bringing the guitar panning in really glued it together nicely. Great job with the samples, drums sound great!!

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(26-10-2018, 11:47 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Wow, nice job, listened to both in the cans and bringing the guitar panning in really glued it together nicely. Great job with the samples, drums sound great!!

Cheers
KSmile

Cheers Kirk, This was a great multi to mix. Waiting for you version now.

Dave
Alright Dangerous Dave.
I like the snare sample used, cuts through. It sounds like Mel Gaynor is on the drums. Kick gets a bit lost, but who gives a damn, right?
Spot on with the vocals, decent EQ'ing and Microshifted it like a pro, nicely done.
(17-12-2018, 01:02 AM)James Cullis Wrote: Alright Dangerous Dave.
I like the snare sample used, cuts through. It sounds like Mel Gaynor is on the drums. Kick gets a bit lost, but who gives a damn, right?
Spot on with the vocals, decent EQ'ing and Microshifted it like a pro, nicely done.

Thanks for dropping by and checking it out James. I appreciate the positive comments. Super glad you like.Big Grin

Dave