Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerve9-Pray For the Rain
Greets!

Such a beautiful song...such a beautiful voice. Love how the band has that grit, too.

I picked up Klanghelm's DC8C3 compressor last night, so in my gluttony for punishment, I challenged myself to use only it for compression duties. It's a beast of a comp and has more knobs than a door factory, so it was a good way to find my way around it. I failed though, and was in a Klanghelm mood, so SDRR2's desk mode comp made it on some tracks....no MJUC though Big Grin Master has my normal chain of comps plus a DC8C for good measure.

Hope I did the song justice. Let me know yay or nay.

Mix 2 Update: Less verb on lead vocals and added some delay in a few spots.

Happy mixing!

.mp3    MixPractice-Nerve9-Pray For the Rain 2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.88 MB)

Hi,the only thing i would say is that the lead vocals has too much verb or the wrong setting apart from that its nice,thanks for sharing your mix.
Reaper user
(04-10-2018, 05:22 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi,the only thing i would say is that the lead vocals has too much verb or the wrong setting apart from that its nice,thanks for sharing your mix.

Hi Cudjoe, thanks for listening and the feedback.

I figured that would be a complaint...I did go a weeeee bit overboard Big Grin

Updated with mix 2. Less verb and added some delay in spots.
Updated Mix 2: Mix seemed a little lopsided in some of the areas where guitars were dominating the right, so I filled in the left and tried to make that guitar hug the ear. Also worked on the final solo.
Mix 2 a lot better well done,iam looking forward to mix this one againSmile
Reaper user
Hi TheNeverScene

Thanks for mixing our track - sorry for the delay in responding ! I just had a listen through this afternoon. Most of my comments are subjective in nature, but I liked your mix a lot. In fact the verse guitar treatment that kinda blends into the synth (you'll need to tell me) was the highlight of your mix for me, and would stand out for me amongst the many other mixes I have listened to for "favourite verse guitar". Thanks for that !

I also liked the other guitar treatments - I am the guitar player and a sucker for delay, so the end solo part was good for me (although I might suggest lowering the delay level a bit) as well as I liked the intro guitar treatment.

Things I can also offer for your consideration:
- my sub felt like it was working pretty hard on the bass guitar. May be worth a check
- I was thinking that a more expansive snare would be nice - it sounded a little dry vs. other mix elements. I had the same thought on the BV parts - needed more reverb or something to push them back as they sounded more upfront than the lead vocal at times.
- the vocal delays on the last line into the chorus were a bit distracting to me - too quick a repeat and the level felt hot
- last comment is a guitar one - in the chorus parts, the distorted guitars felt a little hot vs. the lead vocal. I also felt the middle solo guitar was pushed behind the rhythm guitar and drums, so the same comment may help with that.

I hope this helps - thanks again for mixing the track !

Thomas

(21-01-2019, 12:41 AM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: Hi TheNeverScene

Thanks for mixing our track - sorry for the delay in responding ! I just had a listen through this afternoon. Most of my comments are subjective in nature, but I liked your mix a lot. In fact the verse guitar treatment that kinda blends into the synth (you'll need to tell me) was the highlight of your mix for me, and would stand out for me amongst the many other mixes I have listened to for "favourite verse guitar". Thanks for that !

I also liked the other guitar treatments - I am the guitar player and a sucker for delay, so the end solo part was good for me (although I might suggest lowering the delay level a bit) as well as I liked the intro guitar treatment.

Things I can also offer for your consideration:
- my sub felt like it was working pretty hard on the bass guitar. May be worth a check
- I was thinking that a more expansive snare would be nice - it sounded a little dry vs. other mix elements. I had the same thought on the BV parts - needed more reverb or something to push them back as they sounded more upfront than the lead vocal at times.
- the vocal delays on the last line into the chorus were a bit distracting to me - too quick a repeat and the level felt hot
- last comment is a guitar one - in the chorus parts, the distorted guitars felt a little hot vs. the lead vocal. I also felt the middle solo guitar was pushed behind the rhythm guitar and drums, so the same comment may help with that.

I hope this helps - thanks again for mixing the track !

Thomas

Thank you for the feedback, Thomas. I may revisit it and make some adjustments based on your input.

It's a great song and I wish you all the best!

Mike