Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jessica Childress: 'Slow Down' (critiques plz)
Hey guys,

this is my mix.

I went a bit away from the live feel, so I didnt use the rooms.
Most important in this song were the lead vocals, bass and drums.
Vocals cut through nicely, after some eq, a ton of compression and a bit of saturation. They also recieve a bit of room verb, plate verb and side-chained delay.
The Bass had to be deep and well audible in the midrange, so I used some parallel procceing of the DI and Amp sound. DI was Low-Passed, compressed heavily and fattend up with a sub-enhancer. Amp was saturated even more.
The Drums were pretty nice, just the snare lacked some sizzle, so I did some subtle (I hope) noise gating.

Only thing I just "ignored" more or less were the backing vocals, because they were a headache to use easily in the mix. So I compressed and Band passed them (telephone effect) and mixed the pretty quitely.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

.mp3    Slow down_rework_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.09 MB)

Hi, LukasL! Only thing I'd check is the second right panned delay on the voice. At least, I'd put some automation on it besides the sidechaning because there are parts when it gets a little distracting. Some other parts it works beautifully, though. A shame backing vocals were recorded so carelessly, it's really hard to put some use on them.

Toms panning is great, at least listening with cans! Maybe they are a little too deep and smooth compared to the more biting kick. Wonder what'd happen if you put a transient shaper to boost attack on the mid/hi frequencies.

Other than that, mix sounds big, lively and with a good fat low end. Nice job!