Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street Noise: Revelations Mix
Wanted to get some feedback on my mix of Street Noises' Revelations. When I first heard this I immediately thought of Deep Purple in terms of the instrumentation and vibe, and that's the sound I was going for when I did this particular mix. So how might you improve this mix, either sonically or aestheically. Thanks in advance!

.mp3    Revelations 2-2(5).mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)

Hi Daniel. You mention Deep Purple, I think you made the mix a little dark comparing to how I remember they sound. I think a broad boost somewhere 1.5 to 6-7 kilo on the master will get you closer. Your mix sounds well balanced as it is, takin into consideration the tracks you had to work with. Another approach could be britenin most with a fairly short bright room, or a combination. I do think your mix sounds good and I wouldnt do neither the room or 2bus boost hi middle trick, but you mentioned Deep Purple, and that made me write this. Welcome aboard !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Voelund, Thanks for the welcome and your feedback. I think it's great that there are sites like this that have such a wealth of material to work with for mixing, it's great practice.

I think you are right about Deep Purple sounding more bright and aggressive now that I am listening back to some references. I remember as I started mixing it, at one point the way the bass and the hammond were sitting it made me think of a deep purple record. I guess as I started bringing more elements in I started making decisions to make it not so bright. That probably has more to do with my personal bias than anything.

Lots more reverb too on the instruments it sounds like. I will give the old machine head vinyl a listen and rework a second mix to get closer to that sound, cause youtube and my mp3s aren't cutting it. Call me crazy but some of these older records when you put them on vinyl you can hear a lot more details especially in the bass end.

(04-09-2013, 09:02 PM)Daniel Y Wrote: Voelund, Thanks for the welcome and your feedback. Call me crazy but some of these older records when you put them on vinyl you can hear a lot more details especially in the bass end.

Youre welcome and if youre crazy i am too :-) Look forward to you brighter rock mix :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order