Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Father Never Loved Me mix
Here's my shot at this. Cool tune, very Aerosmith meets Jack White I think.

Let me know the good, bad and ugly :/

.mp3    MixPractice-Trafficker-My Father Never Loved Me 5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.62 MB)

Hi, I think in general you captured the vibe you were going for when you mentioned the "Aerosmith meets Jack White" thing. Musically it sounds pretty punchy and powerful.

A couple of things that could maybe improve it:

- The vocals sound really recessed and distant, despite being highly compressed/distorted. It almost sounds like an "also-ran" when compared to the musical elements. I think the reverb treatment is tending to do this. Try putting some pre-delay on the reverb, and cutting some high end from it. That should have the effect of moving the vocal to the front of the soundstage.

- The cymbals are pretty harsh in the high mids. Mike has documented this as a fault in the way it was recorded, and it's pretty tricky to deal with. I think the 5-6k area is where it really needs some attention. As to how to fix it - well my first port of call would be reductive eq, but the only real answer is experimentation, as every mix will need a different approach.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(18-09-2018, 11:15 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hi, I think in general you captured the vibe you were going for when you mentioned the "Aerosmith meets Jack White" thing. Musically it sounds pretty punchy and powerful.

A couple of things that could maybe improve it:

- The vocals sound really recessed and distant, despite being highly compressed/distorted. It almost sounds like an "also-ran" when compared to the musical elements. I think the reverb treatment is tending to do this. Try putting some pre-delay on the reverb, and cutting some high end from it. That should have the effect of moving the vocal to the front of the soundstage.

- The cymbals are pretty harsh in the high mids. Mike has documented this as a fault in the way it was recorded, and it's pretty tricky to deal with. I think the 5-6k area is where it really needs some attention. As to how to fix it - well my first port of call would be reductive eq, but the only real answer is experimentation, as every mix will need a different approach.

Hi and thanks for the input! I worked on what you mentioned and updated.

As for the vox, there was no verb but I backed off the delay and tape saturation to help clear them up and bring then forward. The cymbals...lol yeah...I already had deessers flying all over the place, but I backed off the overheads a little and hard eq'd out some harshness, which of course led to rebalancing the rest of the kit....then the bass and guitars......and vocals Big Grin
Mix update: Pretty happy with it for now. Definitely more rock than blues. Hope it sits well.
Hi TNS, nice update - the vocals come across better now. There are a few spots where the music overlaps the first bit of the vocal phrase and tends to mask it a bit. A little bit of automation in those parts would improve intelligibility.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(19-09-2018, 11:26 PM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hi TNS, nice update - the vocals come across better now. There are a few spots where the music overlaps the first bit of the vocal phrase and tends to mask it a bit. A little bit of automation in those parts would improve intelligibility.

Thanks. I know what you mean on the overlaps, so good idea.

And yet another update: Backed off reverb (was originally going for that old Aerosmith thing, but too much was overwhelming after a while), messed around with the lead into the solo section.