Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry Clean Only
Hi guys - here's my mix of "Iron Sheik". Enjoy and let me know your thoughts. Mixed in Mixbus 32Cv5 on headphones using Sonarworks Reference 4. Cheers!

Edit 9/22/2018: Added "r1 session" after addressing some of the issues with the first mix. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts/comments! Any critique is welcome. Have a good weekend all!

Edit 9/23/2018: Had a bit of time today so worked on the toms a bit. Here's "r2 session". Hope you like it.

Edit 9/27/2018: Had some more time to work on it so here's the "20180927_session".

Edit 10/06/2018: Revisited the drums a bit and added the "20181006_session". Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

Edit 10/14/2018: Took another listen to the drums and lower end and made some EQ adjustments to push more air.

ONITB

.mp3    Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik 20180915_r2_session.mp3 --  (Download: 5.44 MB)

.mp3    Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik 20180915_session.mp3 --  (Download: 5.44 MB)

.mp3    Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik 20180915_r1_session.mp3 --  (Download: 5.44 MB)

.mp3    Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik 20180927_session.mp3 --  (Download: 5.44 MB)

.mp3    Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik 20181006_session.mp3 --  (Download: 5.44 MB)

.mp3    Dry Clean Only - Iron Sheik 20181014_r1_session.mp3 --  (Download: 5.44 MB)

Hey ON-ITB overall, pretty decent balances here and I like the up front vocals - you did a good job of leveling out some very dynamic vocals.

A few things could use some work:
- Generally, there is a bit of a build up causing some muddiness in the low mids around the 200-300hz mark. My guess is the main culprits are the guitars and the close mics on the drums. Using a bit of reductive eq on those at the track level might clear things up a bit in the low end of the mix.
- The guitars have some low end "chugs" that jump out unevenly and overwhelm the mix at times. High passing the guitars can help to clear that up and, once again, make more room for the kick and bass in the low end. The secret is to high pass just to the point where you hear that unevenness go away. Of course, don't cut too much low end, or the guitars will end up sounding too thin, but it might surprise you how much low end you can get away with cutting on the guitars.
- The drums are getting a little lost in the guitar onslaught. Perhaps adding a little more transient attack to the drums will bring them further forward and help them stand out a little more.
- I think the mix compression/limiting is reacting to the low end buildup in the guitar chugs and causing some level "pumping" at times. Some high passing should help, but also high passing the side-chain of the mix compressor can help stop that happening as well.

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hi Andrew - Many thanks for listening, the compliment on the vocals and taking the time to write detailed comments/suggestions. It’s very much appreciated.

To be honest, I wasn’t very happy with the drum sound and struggled with it throughout the mix. Much more so than with the vocals — which came together very quickly. The muddiness you mentioned is probably coming from the drums interacting with the Aphex Aural Exciter on the guitar 1 and 2 tracks. I will take another listen this weekend and remix the drum tracks.

The guitar chug unevenness is also probably due to the Aphex envelope. They were cut at about 200 Hz or so and I’ll also try to HP them a bit as you suggested.

Happy mixing!
ONITB
Added "r1 session" in first post after addressing some of the issues with the first mix. Thoughts and comments are welcome!

ONITB
Hey ONITB - nice improvement in the guitar chugs. There is more clarity in the mix overall too. The drums are punchier.

Keep working at pulling out low mids in the right spots on different elements. It's the cumulative effect of a lot of fairly small moves on the individual tracks that adds up to more clarity overall on the end result. In these tracks this is particularly the case with the drums.

I'd suggest working on using an eq to sweep around the low mids to find & cut those muddy/boxy frequencies that tend to build up in the 200-500hz region. You might find you cut too much at first, which can result in things sounding too sterile and disconnected, but once you go there and then perhaps pull back slightly it will make a huge impact to the overall punchiness.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks Andrew. Appreciate the words re the improvements. I will go back and listen to the drums again as I have a good idea where the muddiness/boxiness is coming from. I may not get to it this weekend but will post a update once I get it done later in the week.

Have a great weekend. Thanks again.

Cheers!
ONITB

Added a "r2 session".
(24-09-2018, 05:16 AM)OldNewbieITB Wrote: Added a "r2 session".

Slight improvement there... but to be honest, apart from the much improved guitars, the other changes since the original version are pretty subtle.

My suggestion overall would be to be a little more bold with your moves. It still sounds to me like you're being pretty timid about eq.

I hear a lot of people on the internet suggesting being super-conservative with eq/compression etc when mixing. If anything I'd recommend doing the opposite - push things as far as you dare. Let's face it, the worst that can happen is a bad mix; No one is going to die, though Confused

The reason I suggest that is because you get to see just how far you can push things before they sound "bad"... and you might find they don't actually sound "bad" at all - A 15dB boost may be just the ticket...

Go on... live (mix) dangerously! Wink
You’re right Andrew, the changes made were very subtle. I didn’t have a lot of time yesterday and only focused on the Toms - no other changes were made. I will try to spend quality time on the mix mid-week.

Cheers!
ONITB
Added "20180927_session". Enjoy and have a great weekend. Feedback and comments are welcome.

Cheers!
ONITB