Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#18 My Own - Engorilado Mix
That’d roughly translate as ‘Gorrillazed’, blame it on the very cool piano chords!

After printing the mix, I read Don Perignon say he was not to fond of this beat’s samples. Shame, ‘cos I for once was trying not to go loco with drum replacement but playing with the arrangement instead. I don’t think this qualifies as a “remix” since I didn’t really use different sounds (there are 2 or 3 additional layers, but nothing too drastic). I had this weird notion that mixing Hip Hop tunes implied doing some heavy editing and a lot of automation most of the time, don’t ask why.

I can see I overdid the synth lead, but what else do you think might be done better? Thanks for your opinions!

.mp3    18 - Little Chicagos Finest - My Own (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 7.91 MB)

Hey Deliza

I think you did a really creative mix, I enjoyed listening to it. You kept it interesting, and most of the edits worked nicely. but some of them seemed to take away from the vocals, a bit too busy maybe in spots?
I love edits, so you had me at the Tape stop.Tongue

Really nice Job!!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Yep, I got carried away with the edits and neglected the mix part a little, so it's not very solid a mix.
(14-09-2018, 07:30 PM)Deliza Wrote: Yep, I got carried away with the edits and neglected the mix part a little, so it's not very solid a mix.
I would agree. Most of the edits work nicely.
However you are left with a pretty busy soundscape. I feel the vocal in the beginning gets masked by the synth lead and keys. I also think a fatter bass would be appropriate.
Overall the mix sounds a bit untamed and chaotic. If you manage to keep every part under control, you have a cool track on your hands!

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Good point. Dunno why, I didn't set up voices to duck comp the tracks in this one, which would likely have improved clarity and I do all the time.