Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
J.S.Bach - mix by Olli H
I was interested in mixing this because of the oboe-problem. Oboe tries all the time to mask the vocals. I wanted the lyrics to be some what audible all the time. Interesting challenge.

I tried different methods in each and every track to turn down the oboe. I don't have so many plugins so I used mainly the compressor in Avid Channel Strip (quite versatile) and De-esser in Brainworx EQ. It was fun, but I'm not sure if the overall sound is natural.

I hope that oboe still sounds as oboe and that other instruments don't have too much of phase issues.

.mp3    bach-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 6.96 MB)

It sounds a bit squezed, but I cant hear phase problems. Maybe sayin more about my ears ... The balance between voices/oboe/cembalo is much better than what I could do ! The strings sound a bit dull, thats and the " a little squezed" are what I hear could be better. But I dont know how. Good job and best of all - you had fun
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
With the Handel I tried to learn to make the sound. With this one I gave up, and used it only as a practise to tame the oboe. The sound of "too much of processing" is there too audible. But it's time to find the next challenge... Maybe some beatbox which I don't like at all - yet.