Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slow Down - Please comment!
Struggled with the vocals... Would be good to understand what people did to tame them. Thanks

.mp3    Jessica Childress-Slow Down.mp3 --  (Download: 7.33 MB)

Hey, nice mix - nice balance between everything. Here's what I did on my lead vocal:
Compressor w/ 3:1 ratio > LA-2A slight peak reduction > Waves Deesser, bell curve at 7500Hz > send to reverb w/ 100ms predelay and 2.6 ms decay

My background vocals each had EQ with various curves followed by Waves RVox for a gate + compressor, and an Air Enhancer plugin on their bus. They were sent to a reverb w/ a 1 sec decay time.

The tricky part of the BG's for me was - it seemed to make sense to change the panning throughout the song. The levels varied quite a bit on them too, so I ended up riding the levels quite a bit throughout.

Don't know if that helps - Great work on your mix though - would love to hear of techniques you find helpful as well.
(12-09-2018, 02:34 AM)GarriGeorge Wrote: Hey, nice mix - nice balance between everything. Here's what I did on my lead vocal:
Compressor w/ 3:1 ratio > LA-2A slight peak reduction > Waves Deesser, bell curve at 7500Hz > send to reverb w/ 100ms predelay and 2.6 ms decay

My background vocals each had EQ with various curves followed by Waves RVox for a gate + compressor, and an Air Enhancer plugin on their bus. They were sent to a reverb w/ a 1 sec decay time.

The tricky part of the BG's for me was - it seemed to make sense to change the panning throughout the song. The levels varied quite a bit on them too, so I ended up riding the levels quite a bit throughout.

Don't know if that helps - Great work on your mix though - would love to hear of techniques you find helpful as well.

Hey, GarriGeorge, thank you for your comment, appreciate the detail, very helpful.

I was running a trial of Neutron 2 at the time and decided to do the whole song only with this plug-in. I succeed to about 90% but really struggled to get the vocals right.
So this is what I did for lead vocal:
1. Gain -3db
2. Waves CLA-76 with ratio 4, attack 3.5 and release 7
3. Logic built-in compressor with Vintage Vocal preset
4. Logic EQ with high-pass filter at 85Hz and low-pass filter at 9300Hz
5. Sent some to Aux bus where I have Abbey Road Plates reverb with Vocal Plate preset
6. Sent some to another Aux bus for parallel processing
7. Used Neutron 2 multi band compressor on the parallel bus to de-ess a bit and tame the mid-lows.
8. Wrote some subtle volume automation as well.

On backing vocals I used Neutron 2 with a bit of EQ and compression on individual tracks, fed them to a bus with Waves SSL G Channel strip for additional compression and overall EQ.

The rest of the tracks are all processed with Neutron 2 only.

Thanks for listening again, I will go and listen to your mix and comment as well if you don't mind.
(12-09-2018, 06:13 PM)glukin Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 02:34 AM)GarriGeorge Wrote: Hey, nice mix - nice balance between everything. Here's what I did on my lead vocal:

Hey, GarriGeorge, thank you for your comment, appreciate the detail, very helpful.

I was running a trial of Neutron 2 at the time and decided to do the whole song only with this plug-in. I succeed to about 90% but really struggled to get the vocals right.
So this is what I did for lead vocal:
1. Gain -3db
2. Waves CLA-76 with ratio 4, attack 3.5 and release 7
3. Logic built-in compressor with Vintage Vocal preset
4. Logic EQ with high-pass filter at 85Hz and low-pass filter at 9300Hz
5. Sent some to Aux bus where I have Abbey Road Plates reverb with Vocal Plate preset
6. Sent some to another Aux bus for parallel processing
7. Used Neutron 2 multi band compressor on the parallel bus to de-ess a bit and tame the mid-lows.
8. Wrote some subtle volume automation as well.

On backing vocals I used Neutron 2 with a bit of EQ and compression on individual tracks, fed them to a bus with Waves SSL G Channel strip for additional compression and overall EQ.

The rest of the tracks are all processed with Neutron 2 only.

Thanks for listening again, I will go and listen to your mix and comment as well if you don't mind.

Cool. Thanks for your detail as well. I do really like the clarity of your drums and background vocals. Lead vocal could maybe use some boost in the upper range just for clarity's sake.. although I don't think the style of song would call for an excessive amount. Balances and everything else are really nice though!