Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another mix - of Promises and Lies!
Hello fellow mixers

Here's my shot at mixing this heavy-rockin' track. How great it is to hear power-falsetto's again, that is not a frequent occurrence in today's metal!

Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions on improvements, please don't hesitate to tell me.
Personally, I would like to get a little more clarity in the mix (it seems a little bloated). Muting the bass helps this tremendously, so that was part of the problem.
Removing resonances from the bass (especially evident in the verses), and some of the low mids from the guitars really helped. Yet I still find it somewhat clouded, and I am in doubt whether it actually can be fixed at this late stage, or if it should have been fixed earlier on. I would like to preserve the balances between the instruments, which I often find to be a challenge with buss processing.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Rasmus

.mp3    2013-08-24 Johnny Lokke - Promises and Lies.mp3 --  (Download: 10.99 MB)

Welcome to the thread Rasmus and thanks for sharing your mixing skills with us!

I think you have done a wonderful job on this \m/

Have you tried multiband compression on the bass?

Anyhow, great job and thanks for taking an interest. I love checking out what people do with my music!

Keep it loud!
Johnny Lokke,
www.johnnylokkeband.com
(05-09-2013, 10:52 PM)johnnylokke Wrote: Have you tried multiband compression on the bass?

I have used multiband compression on the bass in another track I'm mixing right now, and it seems to work quite well. The arrangement is somewhat different, though, because the bass generally just plays long sustained notes and has to provide a really stable bottom end. In other words, the tone, bite, and meat is not as important, it doesn't have to cut through. But yeah, multiband compression seemed to work there, and I could really compress the attack of the sub 100 Hz part of the bass, thereby making the tails of the notes almost as powerful as the beginning of the notes.

I will experiment with it in future mixes, no doubt, and perhaps I might revisit this track at a point.

Glad you liked it!

\m/
Rasmus