Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Fell From The Sky: 'Not You'
Hey guys,

My names Rick. I just found this site. It's awesome!!! Wish I would of found this a lot time ago. Thanks to Mike and everyone else that has put their time into this site... I just re-built my studio and had a control room installed so I figured I would try something new to get my ears adjusted. So, here we go.

I decided to use Logic 9 on this project. First off I wasn't going to send the extra time fixing all the timing issues with the bands performance. Normally I would but like I said I just wanted to get back into it. Also, no pitch correction on vox. After I listen to everything and did a quick mix. I started by muting all the room mics on the drums. I thought the samples were pretty weak. I swapped on the kick and snr to some samples I thought would stand out better. I really liked the toms. I cleaned them up by doing a strip to silence and crossfaded. Then to a aux with compressor , eq, and send to drums verb. Next I kept the HH and OH1. They went to an aux with an eq, exciter, and then a stereo spread. All drums except toms went to another aux named Drums where I had another eq and compressor for final tuning.

Gtrs were very overdriven wished they had a DI but I kinda liked them on the Chorus. I kept all the gtr tracks but spilt up the choruses and verse on gtr 1 & 2. I did the Haas fx on gtrs 1 & 2. Still the gtrs weren't to my liking. I re-amped them using logics amp sim. I really wished there was DI's...lol. So now I have gtrs 3 & 4 for the verses and choruses. On GtrFx (intro gtr) I tried a few eq fxs (megaphone, radio) but that really a personal taste so I left it alone. It did go though an amp sim like before but clean. Then though enveloper exciter and a spreader. There's a fx on v2 which has a eq dip around 560 -7.5db, boost at 2.8k +3.5db, boost HSF 7.4k +7db All the gtrs then went to an aux called All Gtrs. On that track it hit an eq with LPF at 85, a bump at 670 -2.5db, another at 3.5k -4.5, and rolled off 11.8k. Then came another eq called Match eq that had a side-chain to the snr track. I already had this in my channel presets where the eq of the snr would be inverted in the All Gtrs track to make room for the snr. Finally a slight compressor at the end for the rough edges.

Bass was a DI lol. I tried a couple presets built into logic but I thought the bass sounded to fake. I put it though an eleven rack by digidesign. That was close. But still needed an eq to level out the highs from the amp sim. Then compressed at 5.5:1. Bass was sent to Main Output.

Synth was eq heavily. LPF at 360hz, boost at 1080 +6db, drop at 5.5k -9db. Then a Stereo Spread.

On the vox I listen to the overdubs and just picked the ones I liked better. I didnt do any editing on this project. I definitely should have though. Well I omitted 4 vox tracks and spilt on into 2 tracks. All vox go out to an aux called All Vox. These tracks all needed some heavy de-esser. After came a Compressor at 5:1 ratio. Then eq that took out the lows around 142hz , boost at 200 +4db, boost at 500 +3.5db, boost at 3.75k +6.5db, drop at 4050 -7db, and boost at 4750 +3.5db. All Vox had a send to Vox Verb with a preset of a large room then mod a really short length of .099s . I split up the whispers to a left and right pan then sent them to an aux called WHISPERS. There they went through an enveloper and stereo spread. On the bridge I had the "Not You" put through an echo delay. Which was automated on the vol up and down and the pan left and right.

Alright, now I had a ton of auxs they were leveled and sent to the Stereo Output. Which had a nice easy lin phase eq. Then came the Multpressor which is a multi compressor if you couldn't tell. Where I used a fast attack just bc of the type of song this was. After came the stereo spread. And then the Limiter which I think was 8.27 boost.

This took about 6 hours. I made myself mix 1 and I believe mix 2. I listen to both for about a week and made mental notes on what I liked about each mix. Then, today I spent another couple hours tweaking the mixes. I came out with mix 3 & 4. Mix 3 is a softer version with lower vox then mix 4. On mix 4 I was going more aggressive approach.

Look forward to your opinions and suggestions. Like I said earlier I'm glad to now be apart of this site.

Thanks,
Rick

.mp3    We Fell From The Sky Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

.mp3    We Fell From The Sky Mix 4.mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

Any comments?
I listened to mix 4. Sound great to meSmile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
A too much high mids in there.not enough sepration in the mix.
The vox are getting lost in the bands.
Your using eq for the sake of it and have sucked the guts out of everything
in a word and using far too much comp
wow listening back to my old mixes... yikes on the HIGHS!!!!!!
that moment when they tell you "I listened to it from my iphone speakers"