Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fergussen "Nos Palpitants"
The afternoon was spent mixing this tune, and now its DARK! Where'd the day go? It was just noon, wasn't it? I must catch up with Gallifrey and make use of the TARDIS. While I was taking a break, I found the "Nos Palpitants" video on youtube and checked it out. Let me know what you think.

.mp3    Fergussen_NosPalpitants_Mix1_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.55 MB)

Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
Hey Dave

Nice Job on the balance and instrument tone, as always acoustic guitars sound great. You did a good job with the vocals, which I thought were tough to get to sound decent with all the sibilance and weird nasal and breath sounds.
you get a chance check mine out, let me know what you think.
Great Job!!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks for listening, Kirk. I generally reach for the NI/Softube VC76 for all guitars; acoustic, electric and bass. The NI default for acoustics is 8:1, which I almost always change to 4:1. Then its just a matter of setting the threshold and then adjusting the output to volume match. Its a tone I like and easy to use.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
This tune is hard, I literally can't! You made a pretty good job in sculpturing an epic "battle horn" ladscape, Dave. Vocals are pretty much where they should and that couldn't be easy, I just can't understand how the band got such meticulous guitar recordings and then put that squashed miserably distorted vocal in there (maybe on purpose, as a test for aspiring mixers?). Kudos for making the hat bearable (it sounds almost pretty) and really imposing badass kickdrum (just a little too loud here over headphones) and really balanced and natural acoustic sound. Only thing I think could improve this would be to pan the main electric piano closer to the center, so there's some more weight there (at least once the drums come in). But really great sound nonetheless, I'm gonna have to put my mean face on to get close to this!
(29-04-2019, 04:51 PM)Deliza Wrote: This tune is hard, I literally can't! You made a pretty good job in sculpturing an epic "battle horn" ladscape, Dave. Vocals are pretty much where they should and that couldn't be easy, I just can't understand how the band got such meticulous guitar recordings and then put that squashed miserably distorted vocal in there (maybe on purpose, as a test for aspiring mixers?). Kudos for making the hat bearable (it sounds almost pretty) and really imposing badass kickdrum (just a little too loud here over headphones) and really balanced and natural acoustic sound. Only thing I think could improve this would be to pan the main electric piano closer to the center, so there's some more weight there (at least once the drums come in). But really great sound nonetheless, I'm gonna have to put my mean face on to get close to this!

Thanks for listening, Deliza. Coming close to what I heard in the video was a challenge. I do recall using a de-esser on the overheads and confirmed the stock Logic plug-in was used. I just went and checked the folder and found I haven't touched this since last September. I think I'll give this another whirl this weekend. Maybe I can get the kick to fit the mix better.
Peace,
Dave
I created a new alternative mix and started over from the base stems. The primary difference is in the drum tracks; no gates were used. This is the result.

.mp3    Fergussen_NosPalpitants_Mix3_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.55 MB)

Peace,
Dave