Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flames - AZmix
Okay, here's my take on this song.

Looks like things were at least somewhat cooked before we got it and the drums being samples naturally didn't need a whole lot of attention but still requires gentle compression and EQ fixes. My biggest problem with drums was the kick. Wasn't sounding the way I wanted it and it took a bit to massage it into place. It also had too much low end ring and that was problematic for getting good sub out of it.

The guitar parts were pretty good. Either they were edited a bit before we got them or the guitar player is used to playing with a click and got his timing pretty darned good. All I had to do was some fine adjustment. Nice to not have to spend an hour syncing those parts. Smile One problem I did have was trying to get dynamics out of them. Overdriven parts naturally have very few but in a mix, it can sound better to automate some accents. Unfortunately, I don't think I brought my accents up high enough and the effect kind of gets lost when they're added into the rest of the tune.

The bass being overdriven didn't really help that much, IMO. I chose to use more of the DI as is with just compression and EQ. Also helped get me the low end that ended up missing from the amped track.

The vocals took a good deal of time. I wish I could have gotten them closer to in tune but even with what I did, I was learning new things about how to work in Melodyne. I could tell that there had already been a good amount of pitch correction applied and likely timing edits because everything matched up really well for timing and most of the notes were identified within 5 cents of a true tone but even though both the primary and DT parts "matched" they still weren't in tune. I got them much closer and fixed the things that really bugged me but wished I could have figured out how to do more. I chose to add a ton of reverb and a few delays on the vocals because they just sounded better to me than having them fairly dry.

Anyway, here's my take on this one.
Comments welcome.

.mp3    flames-mix-ltd.mp3 --  (Download: 12.68 MB)

Old West Audio