Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Chicago's Finest: 'My Own'
My Mix

Not my genre , but gave it a shot

Comments Welcome!!

KSmile

.mp3    Little Chicago\'s Finest_ \'My Own\'-03.mp3 --  (Download: 10.74 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Yo, K! I enjoyed vocals the most, which I guess is 90% with a tune like this. The adlib on the verses gave atmosphere and tension, no reverb choice out of place and contrast and variation between the Mc's. The last verse around 3:10 is the high point for me.

Bassdrum is making other parts small, though, and maybe influencing too much over how bus comp (or mastering limiter) is working.
Maybe it's a genre thing, but I'm thinking that methods usually desirable on rock/pop mixes (like "good balance", "not showing off the mix", you know) are less important with this kinda tunes and there's a lot more room to be freaky and try things. So with this one, you have a solid natural, sounding mix (minus that slightly overdominant kick) but then it could be expected for you to do, you know... "more", even if you just did everything right.

And of course, the client could very well not know how to specify what "more" means and then you just want to scream!

(05-09-2018, 12:23 PM)Deliza Wrote: Yo, K! I enjoyed vocals the most, which I guess is 90% with a tune like this. The adlib on the verses gave atmosphere and tension, no reverb choice out of place and contrast and variation between the Mc's. The last verse around 3:10 is the high point for me.

Bassdrum is making other parts small, though, and maybe influencing too much over how bus comp (or mastering limiter) is working.
Maybe it's a genre thing, but I'm thinking that methods usually desirable on rock/pop mixes (like "good balance", "not showing off the mix", you know) are less important with this kinda tunes and there's a lot more room to be freaky and try things. So with this one, you have a solid natural, sounding mix (minus that slightly overdominant kick) but then it could be expected for you to do, you know... "more", even if you just did everything right.

And of course, the client could very well not know how to specify what "more" means and then you just want to scream!

I love my Kicks and Bass .. lol Thanks for the comments Deliza, Ill add a bit more air to the kick and pull it back.
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
agreed on the kick lil to in yo face
(05-09-2018, 02:48 PM)Spandexcore Wrote: agreed on the kick lil to in yo face

Hey Spandexcore
Yeah, Im gonna pull it back
Thanks for commenting
KSmile