Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Hammer Down practice mix 2
Hi everyone -

Attached is my second try at mixing this great tune. (The first wasn't very good so I took it down.) Blitzzz, many thanks again for allowing us to practice our mixing on your song. So, as a newbie, I'd welcome your thoughts on how to improve the song. I didn't try to duplicate the original but instead decided to mix an interpretation.

The song was mixed on headphones w/Sonarworks Reference 4 on Harrison Mixbus v5. It's a static mix with panning and audio levels adjusted to try to place the instruments in their sound field in a way that would complement the song in lieu of automation. Drums are mixed from audience perspective (snare and slightly hat stage left), with bass slightly stage right and all guitars stage right except for the solo passages (which are centered). Synths are predominantly stage left. Minimal eq was applied and there is compression, limiting and subtle verb throughout. Guitar solo also has delay added.

Hope you enjoy it and all suggestions/criticisms are welcome. Many thanks in advance!

ONITB

Edit 10/1/2018: here's a new mix of "Hammer Down". Took a more modern approach with this one. Guitars panned left and right with solo passages centered. Synths still predominantly stage left with a ping pong delay. Bass still slightly stage right. Vox have both delay and reverb on them. Looking forward to your comments/criticisms. Enjoy!

10/12/2018: Added new rev "20181012_session". Did some pseudo M/S processing with a slight boost @2.3KHz, increased volume of overheads and kick. Hope you like it. Let me know your thoughts/comments. Have a great weekend all.

Cheers!
ONITB

10/13/2018: Added new rev "20181013 r1_session

1. Added more bottom end
2. Changed some of the reverbs
a. Changed the vox verb to a longer 224x hall
b. Changed the wet/dry mix on one of the other verbs
3. Decided to remove the delay at the intro as recommended.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Cheers!

ONITB

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down Mix 2_r1_session.mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down 20180930_r1_session.mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down 20181012_session.mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down 20181013_r1_session.mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

Added a new mix to the first post. Enjoy!

ONITB
10/12/2018: Added new rev "20181012_session". Did some pseudo M/S processing with a slight boost @2.3KHz, increased volume of overheads and kick. Hope you like it. Let me know your thoughts/comments. Have a great weekend all.

Cheers!
ONITB

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down 20181012_session.mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

Hello

*That delay in the synth is not a good choice. It's a very busy part as it is. You should ctake that delay out.
*Balance is not off if anything is probably the eq you used in the mix. It's sounding too thin.. it needs balls.. so it needs more mids and lows.
*Overall voices is too dry.. the drums are also dry. It needs more reverb.

Keep it up hope this helps.
Hi Shul - Many thanks for your comments and feedback.

1. You think that the keyboard part is busy? It’s intro is mostly 8th notes on a single note and the balance of the keys are mostly pads...delay was added only to the intro.

2. Agree it could possibly use more bottom end. Will revisit and work to add more balls to the bottom. There’s not a lot of EQ on the individual tracks as I felt many of them didn’t need much initially. Thanks for pointing it out. For reference, I hope you don’t mind if I ask what speakers were you listening to it on? I’m only asking because I mixed it on headphones with Sonarworks.

3. Reverbs are set about 35-40% wet. There are different verbs on the drums, vox and guitars. In my opinion they fit the song but it’s a matter of taste. None-the-less I’ll take another listen to it, especially on the vocals.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen to it and provide feedback. It’s very much appreciated. Have a good weekend. Cheers!

ONITB
Hi Shul - I had a bit of time to listen to the tracks again. As a result of your input I made the following changes:

1. Added more bottom end
2. Changed some of the reverbs
a. Changed the vox verb to a longer 224x hall
b. Changed the wet/dry mix on one of the other verbs
3. Decided to remove the delay at the intro as recommended.

Many thanks again for your input. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Cheers!

ONITB

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down 20181013_r1_session.mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)