Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#17 Daisy Daisy - Attack of the 50 foot A&R Woman (AKA, under 2 minutes cut)
Salad diet for summer in the city!
This one’s been done to death, right? That’s why I trimmed all excess fat so it is a breeze of a listen. It’d take you longer to post “S%&T!” than listening to it!

.mp3    17 - John McKay - Daisy Daisy (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 4.15 MB)

Interesting fan-out at the open. I like clever things like that!
The pause feels a little odd but works and I love the vocal paste at the end. Nice!
About the only comment I can make is that I think the snare could be a little more in-your-face for this sort of tune. Needs more top end and maybe a touch more at 1 or 2 kHz.
Old West Audio
Yep, snare it's the thing that bugged me the most, good to see someone confirm it. I was happy at first, but then some mixes here showed me it could be done way better.
I often do edits that won't work 100% and it's not that I always think I'm improving the song, it's mostly training for situations where someone asks for that kind of thing.

Thanks for taking the bother to listen!
Holy Put the brakes on! Almost broke my neck with that sudden stop Tongue ..kidding
Nice work Deliza very creative. I agree with AZ, snare needs to cut through a bit more. other than that cant fault it.
Great Job!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
For that pause, consider the classic "break-slow reverse sounds-Downbeat" sequence. (and one of these days I'll figure out what they use for that sound so I can get something that sounds reasonably close.)
Old West Audio
Azwayne, here's when my English reveals to be totally not enough. Do you mean a tape stop effect? If not, I just have no idea what you meant and I won't be able to sleep!
Can't think of an example where it's been used off the top of my head but think along the lines of a reverse cymbal but with semi-distinct noise instead.
Old West Audio
Hi Deliza

What AZ is talking about I used twice in my Secretariat-Borderline mix on the breaks, check it out, I cut up and reversed a bass note that had a long sustain and matched the lead in chord after the break, kind of like a dynamic lead in.

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Sometimes this is done with reverse reverb but it takes the right sound to generate that and have it sound good.

Reversed *notes* or chords are used all the time in recording. Check out Def Leppard's Hysteria album (and the title track in particular) but in that case they're so well done that you miss them unless you're specifically listening for them except at the bridge since they're only a beat long or thereabouts.
Old West Audio
Ah, now I see. That's a neat trick!