Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: 'Rescue Me'
It's been awhile! I thought I best mix something and post it just to keep in touch.

A somewhat basic mix of this great song and live performance. No real issues to speak of, although the tracks are quite reactive to processing. Compress the vocals too much and the drums become too bright and roomy for example. Adds to the fun and challenge of the exercise. Thanks for listening, comments welcome.

Dave

Update Mix #2 Added. Some reworking of the bottom end mainly with the bass guitar. Added some extra fullness to the vocal once the bass was cleaned.

.mp3    Rescue me - Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.85 MB)

.mp3    Rescue me - Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.86 MB)

Hey Dave

Haven't seen you in a while, saw your post and had a listen on the phones and monitors
Nice and punchy, and as always, great balance.
Vocals sound real nice.

I heard something clashing in the lows or low mids. I d/l'ed it and swept the frequencies, right at 204 the bass, kick and low end of the guitar are fighting a bit . I pulled a notch down at 204 and widened the Q till it cleaned up nice. seemed to have given the kick, bass and low guitar notes more space. Also -3db bell @ 62 helped.

Nice Job, hope all is well
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(26-08-2018, 02:30 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Dave

Haven't seen you in a while, saw your post and had a listen on the phones and monitors
Nice and punchy, and as always, great balance.
Vocals sound real nice.

I heard something clashing in the lows or low mids. I d/l'ed it and swept the frequencies, right at 204 the bass, kick and low end of the guitar are fighting a bit . I pulled a notch down at 204 and widened the Q till it cleaned up nice. seemed to have given the kick, bass and low guitar notes more space. Also -3db bell @ 62 helped.

Nice Job, hope all is well
Cheers
KSmile

I've been a bit quiet on this front. Too busy building more guitar amps. Something I tend to do in the colder months down here in oz.

Thanks for the listen. I'll look into the clashing bass freqs and see if I can clean them up. I think I'll revisit my reverb settings also. Somethings not sitting right, the overall space is sounding a bit strange.

Cheers

Are you cheating? That vocal sounds tight and consistent. That cannot be the same raw I downloaded!

I have to say v1 makes it for me, there's a little too much bass but things gel better in it and everything sounds more "expensive" in general, not meaning ultrapolished but more like an album. Snare has more of its own space and mandoline is a little less annoying. BGV's sound pretty nice.

Hapy New Year!

(03-01-2019, 10:28 AM)Deliza Wrote: Are you cheating? That vocal sounds tight and consistent. That cannot be the same raw I downloaded!

I have to say v1 makes it for me, there's a little too much bass but things gel better in it and everything sounds more "expensive" in general, not meaning ultrapolished but more like an album. Snare has more of its own space and mandoline is a little less annoying. BGV's sound pretty nice.

Hapy New Year!

Thanks for checking out the mix. Can't remember how I treated the vox. Normal and parallel comp I'm guessing. I like working with vocals, Its something our hearing is very much a tuned to. I also love working with the live type recordings. Give me mic bleed.Big Grin Love it.

Happy New Year