Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Challenge of Catching Up

As many have intoned, this was no easy get. Between the plethora of takes and tracks and some dodgy recordings, this was a real challenge to balance energy, texture, nuance, melody and power.

The vocals were the biggest challenge for me and as a result there are two compressors and a limiter on the tracks I've chosen (which were made up of three takes). Getting the vocals to lay easily against the ensemble was also a bit of a chore.

The guitars are wonderfully lush with incredible textures and melodic nuance. Getting those to read musically was also a test.

I think I've compiled something enjoyable and musical.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Enjoy.
MITC

.mp3    Lyndsey Ollard - Catching Up.mp3 --  (Download: 8.64 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi,

I just tried to mix this one and I agree with you about the challenges it presents. Lots of decisions to make, really hard to keep a clear vision throughout the song while working on specific tasks such as fixing the voice and properly distributing the guitars across the stage. Drums and bass, however, barely needed any treatment to work properly IMO.

You did a superb job with the guitars. They don't seem to fight with each other and each one plays its own part in the mix nicely. Acoustic guitars do poke out sometimes around the 5k area (maybe higher, 7-9k?)

The voice was hard to tame and there are some resonances that make it seem a little too much "on the mic" sometimes. Try using a dynamic eq such as TDR Nova to tame that occasional proximity effect.

Around 2:18 it seems to me that instruments start fighting for real state, pushing the voice back and letting it just poke out through esses, becoming a bit more nasal than it was. Maybe some automation, or checking back on some resonances that don't really impact the mix until that point, could help.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(26-11-2018, 01:11 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Hi,

I just tried to mix this one and I agree with you about the challenges it presents. Lots of decisions to make, really hard to keep a clear vision throughout the song while working on specific tasks such as fixing the voice and properly distributing the guitars across the stage. Drums and bass, however, barely needed any treatment to work properly IMO.

You did a superb job with the guitars. They don't seem to fight with each other and each one plays its own part in the mix nicely. Acoustic guitars do poke out sometimes around the 5k area (maybe higher, 7-9k?)

The voice was hard to tame and there are some resonances that make it seem a little too much "on the mic" sometimes. Try using a dynamic eq such as TDR Nova to tame that occasional proximity effect.

Around 2:18 it seems to me that instruments start fighting for real state, pushing the voice back and letting it just poke out through esses, becoming a bit more nasal than it was. Maybe some automation, or checking back on some resonances that don't really impact the mix until that point, could help.

A very good and thorough analysis which illuminates the lingering difficulties of mixing this song. Thanks for the input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi MITC

I thought the balance of the Instruments is excellent. Pleasant guitar tones. Flows into the second drum kit nicely. Good energy.
Good Job!! I agree with Octo as far as the vocals are concerned.
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(27-11-2018, 11:33 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hi MITC

I thought the balance of the Instruments is excellent. Pleasant guitar tones. Flows into the second drum kit nicely. Good energy.
Good Job!! I agree with Octo as far as the vocals are concerned.
Cheers
KSmile

Thanks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]