Poll: How do you rate my mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Amazing!
20.00%
1 20.00%
Good
80.00%
4 80.00%
Ok
0%
0 0%
Meh
0%
0 0%
Eww!
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Still Flyin': My Mix
Hi everyone. Here is my mix for 'Still Flyin' by The Apprehended.

I did not use any samples whatsoever. I wanted the challenge of trying to mix poorly recorded kick/snare/toms, and I did what I could with what I had. I felt like replacing everything with samples would seem like cheating for what I was going for.

I also did not do much mastering. All I really did for that was add a light limiter. Apologies if the mix is on the quiet side, but crank that volume!

I'm here to become a mix master. I'm a Recording Arts student at Full Sail University, and my favorite genre is metal by far. This song was frustrating to mix, but I wanna hear you guys' opinions. Don't hold back! Wink

.mp3    Still Flyin (Nick\'s Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.24 MB)

very nice mix ;D good kick drum
Made some revisions

.mp3    Still Flyin r5 (final).mp3 --  (Download: 10.39 MB)

(03-04-2019, 07:34 PM)Nick Wrote: Made some revisions

Sounds great! Everything is mixed really well, good job.
the snare gate is not so well, cymbols get in the snare channel when the gate opens. i think dsser can do this job to reduce the cymbol
(02-06-2019, 07:24 AM)重装皮皮猫 Wrote: the snare gate is not so well, cymbols get in the snare channel when the gate opens. i think dsser can do this job to reduce the cymbol

Did you listen to my original mix or my revised mix? My revised one has a snare sample in it so there is no gating issue.
Sounds pretty good! I am a Full Sail graduate myself.
Despite the second mix sounds better, I think the first one was really good. I just really don't like using samples and I feel that any song that isn't recorded well enough to do without samples isn't worth my time to mix. But I don't want to argue with how you mixed, you did a great job that's just my opinion.
(22-08-2019, 02:56 AM)jamesw1 Wrote: Despite the second mix sounds better, I think the first one was really good. I just really don't like using samples and I feel that any song that isn't recorded well enough to do without samples isn't worth my time to mix. But I don't want to argue with how you mixed, you did a great job that's just my opinion.

I see where you are coming from. For me, I tend to try and take a song that might not have ideal multitracks and make the most out of it, even if that includes having to use samples. I try not to use samples if I can, but I just felt like these drums were not recorded well enough for me to get the sound I want out of them. I like the challenge of turning something bad quality-wise into a good mix regardless of how I get there.

I know I said in the original post that samples feel like cheating, but I changed my mind and revised the mix since I just felt that this mix was an exception to the rule with its poorly recorded snare.

But I totally understand where you are coming from. It can be really frustrating if the multitracks are difficult to work with.
Guitars are way too low.
Vocals are drowning out the guitars and keys. Im trying to mix this now and the recording is a mess. The vocals are all out of key and the guitar solo is not lined up right with the rest of the stems. Vocals are also recorded way too low. They obviously did not compress on the way in.
Whoever recorded this should be fired.