Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Saga Of Harrison Crabfeathers. Mixed by Key
Hi, this is a sort of my beginning and i'm not sure of any decision.

.mp3    Araujo_TheSagaOfHarrisonCrabfeathers.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

Hey Key,

A fairly solid mix especially if this is one of your first. Now although I'm not Bob Katz, I feel as though I have some tips that can help you improve the mix further.

You have the beginnings of a great drum sound, the reverb is subtle and not overbearing and gives a sense of warmth. I think that the snare could be brought down as the kick and snare ratio is somewhat significant among some other very slight level changes like lowering the hi-hats a touch. I personally believe that they are too present and overpower the elements that should be placed further forward like the guitar and piano. The kick may just need a bit of space made for it using EQ. Try subtly lowering the frequencies around 50-100Hz in the bass to let the kick punch through the mix but don't push it otherwise you'll lose a lot of the important fundamentals in the bass, giving it this hollow feel instead.

Again with the guitar and piano, although the synth's moment is during the intro of the song, they need to pop out for the small stabs that they do play considering that for the rest of the song they are the main elements and because they are the main elements, they need to be very forward and hovering above the rest of the signals. I feel like you have the leveling right during the bass solo section around halfway. The bass was too overpowering and present during the entire song but sat well in this section as well when it was 'supposed' to be forward so that could be brought down a touch too.

I can't really say anything further about anything that bugged me but what I can say is that the mix still feels underwhelming and 'safe.' If you're a beginner, I say that you really try all of the different creative tools at your disposal! Chuck a delay over the guitars and see how far you can push it. Compression is your friend if you use it wisely. Have some fun messing around with different techniques. It still feels very dry and could use some livening up by getting your hands dirty.

I hope this helps.
Interactive Frequency Chart
SAE Creative Media Institute
Bachelor of Audio Engineering at SAE Byron Bay.