Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
#14 Gökyüzü - Sirenum scopuli Mix
A delicate, mysterious song but a weirdo of a multitrack, with drums that I presume are programmed or partially replaced, at least? I thought of ignoring that weird ADT stereo effect on main guitar, it sounds well as a single mono source, but I went PauGasol on this one and let it be (¡es broma, yo AMO a Pau Gasol!).

I must have felt unconfident about what to do here, going for an unnecessary hot ultrabright sound instead (kinda working better on the choruses, maybe?) with no tangible low end and excessive treble range. It’s easier to criticize when others do that!

.mp3    14 - Salon 8 - Gokyuzu (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 6.81 MB)

(13-08-2018, 09:40 AM)Deliza Wrote: I thought of ignoring that weird ADT stereo effect on main guitar, it sounds well as a single mono source

Hi there,

Just some thoughts about the first 20 seconds:

I think Gtr1 (main?) needs to be mono in order to nuke the reverb. You could (should?) then treat it how it needs to be treated, with effective transient control and eq, especially in the critical zone between 1-5kHz where it has a mind of it's own currently. It also gives a lot more scope to apply one's own creative ideas.

You mentioned bright, but I think it sounds brittle and won't respond well to elevated listening levels as our perception of pitch changes. This would make it feel harsh pretty quickly I suspect. Perhaps more importantly, this kind of ambiance doesn't fit the concept/vocal, as it suggests to me a hard, imposing space which clashes head on with her voice, quickly eroding emotion. The treble here makes it too edgy.

Introducing your chosen reverb to gtr1 (hopefully with less abundance and opening scope for depth and a 3D delivery), it could also be used for the vocal thereby enhancing spatial cohesiveness and consistency. Arguably, you might not want that because of your vision, of course.

The panning of gt1, especially during the intro section where it's exposed, doesn't make spatial sense from a Haas perspective, so my brain is unhappy. The problem gets compounded when the wet mono gtr2 comes in, which you've panned right.

Space, the final frontier. Big Grin

I think if you dig around, you should find some mid range material lurking about, but it's not obvious at a glance. This might also reduce the sense of brightness too, from those exposed upper mids?

Great to hear the retention of musical dynamics rather than pursuing loudness and it's distorted artifacts. I respect that immensely, as it feeds into audio quality.

Hope it helps Wink
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Love your vision and relaxed sound with this one Deliza. Your contrasting use of space and reverbs works well. Me like! Big Grin

Dave
(19-08-2018, 12:23 PM)Monk Wrote:
(13-08-2018, 09:40 AM)Deliza Wrote: I thought of ignoring that weird ADT stereo effect on main guitar, it sounds well as a single mono source

You mentioned bright, but I think it sounds brittle and won't respond well to elevated listening levels as our perception of pitch changes. This would make it feel harsh pretty quickly I suspect. Perhaps more importantly, this kind of ambiance doesn't fit the concept/vocal, as it suggests to me a hard, imposing space which clashes head on with her voice, quickly eroding emotion. The treble here makes it too edgy.

Great to hear the retention of musical dynamics rather than pursuing loudness and it's distorted artifacts. I respect that immensely, as it feeds into audio quality.

Indeed, "brittle" is the word I would have rather used, had I known it before! I tried to mimic the warm and round EQ that OlliH got in his mix (btw, that's the preview mix), but gave up after a while and chose to move forward despite not being very happy about it. As I said, I was aware that treating the guitar as a mono source would have been better, but chickened out for some reason.

One thing I didn't think of that you mention is transient control, that probably could have made it!

And, though I'm flattered beyond mesure, the sad truth is I would same crazy loudness as everyone were I able to do it without completely obliterating the sound! Thanks for the help, lot of things to think about!