Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another Atrophy mix.
Hi,

first of all: A big thank you for providing all those multi-track files for download. I came here because I wanted to compare different recording techniques (e.g. levels in use, microphone setups, etc.) just out of curiosity. It happened I started to mix a bit. Find attached yet another Atrophy mix. What is a bit irritating for me is that the artists were not around. Sometimes you cannot decide if something has been done intentionally. Is that bass part really meant to be that way or should I do something about it? Things like that. Maybe the drummer should have used heavier sticks, btw. You cannot tell without having been part of the recording session. Hope someone likes it. I tend to like loud drums Big Grin

.mp3    The Doppler Shift - Atrophy.mp3 --  (Download: 11.16 MB)

hi, the drums are samples, i think from the evil drums library. What a lot of people forget is to layer a rimshot on top of the center snare.

the drums are too loud and guitars are the low in the mix. the vocals are not sitting in the mix. But the mix sound decent tho.
My Gear:

Studio One 4
Focusrite Saffire
Art Stereo compressor
Qcon controller
Yamaha HS8 monitors
Beyer Dynamic DT770 pro
Soundtracs Topaz 24 analog mixer
(10-08-2018, 04:07 PM)brady85 Wrote: the drums are too loud and guitars are the low in the mix. the vocals are not sitting in the mix. But the mix sound decent tho.

Yeah. Drums upfront. The drummer gets the chicks. Always! Big Grin Frontman? Sometimes. Can stand behind the drummer. Guitarists? Who needs guitarists? Same level as the synths. The bass track. Hmm. Tried a lot of things and gave up on it. There must have been some issue during recording the recording engineer tried to fix but failed. Not the player. Maybe someone would just have to setup the potis or knobs directly at the instrument instead of applying some - I don't know - overdriven pre-amp with misaligned compressor? What you hear in the mix is what the instrument must have sounded during recording. I cannot tell. So you are absolutely right, of course. I haven't listened to it using lower levels. Never touched the fader of the DAC. Mistake. I know. Thanks for listening. Feedback always welcome.