Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[ZMoney] Come Around (Unmastered)
Hey everybody! I'm a producer, and people call me ZMoney.

I heard the demo of this song on the main page. Immediately after hearing the excerpt with her voice and a part of the chorus, I knew it was a great song! One night mix.

I take a lot of inspiration from CLA and Andy Wallace, JJP, Manny (the big guys). They don't keep you guessing when the chorus is. They don't make you wonder what the lead is. Their work has character and nuance. They' don't overdo things. I listen to their stuff all the time just to keep my targets high.

Song was great! Background vocals were a little chaotic. I added some triggered drums on the chorus. Automated a bunch of delays and reverbs. Tried to make the stereo image wider beyond standard and interesting (in the chorus, almost like two different songs on the left and right channels - a CLA thing).

The way I focused on the song was keeping things mostly un-soloed at the beginning (rarely soling stuff), and focusing on what it would be like to hear the song for the first time. Obvoiusly, looking through the lens like that, you want to make it interesting and ear-grabbing!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Drums - EQ, Reverb, Parallel Compression (low) + Triggers on the Chorus
Guitars - Pretty much EQ, Comp, and some tracks have reverb
Vocals - Literally a Highpass filter, a compressor, and deeser. Parallel Compression + Reverb + 3 different delays (automated)
Background - Distortion, doublers, reverb, phasers

Enjoy!

.mp3    [ZMoney] Leaf - Come Around.mp3 --  (Download: 8.97 MB)

Good Mix, Vocals sound sweet
Snare a bit over compressed and thin, other than that good job

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Yeah, it's sounding nice.

Vocal is a bit buried for this kind of pop rock, and the delay gets a bit overpowering in a couple of spots, but bringing the dry vocal up would cure that.

Good job!
Hey Zmoney,

This is super inspiring and made me realize how thin my original mix was Smile
Having distortion on the back vocals is a super good idea so I stole it from you, thanks !!!

The way I heard the song was that there is a trippy / trip hop vibe so I like the fact that there is not a massive low end on drums and the snare is more snappy than massive. The drums on your mix sound great soloed with the trigger but (to me) the wide snare is no fit for the song during the chorus, so I'd say drums more Morcheeba and a bit less Prince (exaggerating of course Wink )

That's me and my tastes, overall the mix sounds great!

Quentin