Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dino On The Loose_Queen's Light
Vers1: Organic mix, not loud. Nice ghost notes by the drummer and nicely recorded.

Vers2: A little more work on the automation. Tamed the peaky snare. Added some mastering volume.

.mp3    V1 Dino On The Loose.mp3 --  (Download: 11.49 MB)

.mp3    V2 Dino On The Loose.mp3 --  (Download: 11.36 MB)

We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
I’m at work so I only have a couple of grotboxes available but it sounds nice on them. Smile

The resonance on the snare is a bit louder than I would want, and I’m always vexed when I hear an instrument coming from a single speaker only…
Most mixes done in Reaper or Bitwig on a MacBook Pro using Sony MDR-7506 headphones and some hifi system with old Saba speakers in a small-ish untreated room. If I commented on your mix, please check the board for my mix and reciprocate. :) Thank you!
Appreciate the listen Bombe. I agree, the snare is a little peaky. Give us a shout when you have a chance to listen on a full range set of monitors. Thx
Reciprocating herewith Wink

Listening only to v2, I'm finding the snare ring irritating, especially it's constant, unrelenting slamming. The percussive elements, all of them including the drum kit, are robotic (understand why this is so?) and after less than a couple of minutes I find myself losing interest. It also sounds overly dense and cluttered so it ends up triggering fatigue. A good example is the conga. Keeping this running for the duration could set you up for a Court Martial. This groove needs to ebb and flow and I'm not feeling you've creatively addressed this with the tools available to us. Is there any stage during playback, that you feel the percussive elements are excessive, say? What are they contributing being there all the time?

I'm loving the bass guitar and kick immensely, they work well together.

A minor point. The epiano, an unwieldy beast, needs more taming here with some of it's errant transients.

There's a skew in the frequency response caused by an imbalance in the spectrum which needs addressing carried over from the supply, otherwise I'd say you are well on target for a reasonably, spectrally balanced mix. That said, I feel there's a lack of sparkle in the synths which affects mood. Joy comes from sparkle. Carving out the midriff might help you find some psychoacoustic benefit to the treble, but from experience, it needs more effort. Finding sparkle would help bring the synths more forward and help focus attention on their performances too, otherwise the illusion of tone sets them away from the spotlight and me along with it.

I'd say you need to find musical dynamic here, as a priority, it would bring a big change to the mood in a very positive way. Great job so far though.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Thanks Monk. I’m always entertained by your lengthy reviews. I wanted to go back and listen to your mix to see where you were coming from sonically but it seems it’s offline as most of your mixes seem to be. Appreciate the listen though.