Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollow Ground "Left Blind" Mix
Hello, I came across this site looking for songs to practice mixing. Truly a great site! Anywho, this is my first take. Wanted to play around with something heavy with not too many tracks. I did this using Reaper and only used stock Reaper Plugins except the guitar distortion. I really enjoyed playing around with this song and look forward to doing more. Any and all critiques are welcomed.

Thanks!

.mp3    Hollow Ground.mp3 --  (Download: 2.45 MB)

Hey aboatmpls!
I think you can look over your guitars lows and low mid frequencies. Use highpass filters and also cut some muddy 150-600 hz from them. You could also try and find a sweet spot for them and boost around the 2-6k area.
Bass has too much rumble in the lower frequencies.
Snare is too muddy as well. Cut mids and maybe some 150-230hz from it and boost some higher frequencis to make it stand out and pop more.
Try to bring vocals more to the front.
Great job other than that! Keep it up!
Great job on his mix. Honestly the only thing I would change would be the balance. Bring the guitar up more and push the drums back some. Love how you did the vocals. It kind of reminds me of what Lynyrd Skynyrd did with Ronnie Van Zants vocals on Working for MCA.
Nice good growl on the guitars. Some of the detail could be brought out though. I found that doing pre-gain adjustments to bring up some of those parts (so it took effect before the amp plugin) helped quite a bit. Could also do it using a gain plugin instead such as automating the makeup on a compressor if you can't do pre-gain changes.
Old West Audio