Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Saga Of Harrison Crabfeathers' Mix
Let me know what you think of the mix

.mp3    Araujo Mix Pass 2.01_01.mp3 --  (Download: 7.83 MB)

Hey Nimbus,

Great mix. I just have a few things to say that I hope you take into consideration. I'll try to keep it short.

- Good drum mix, the rimshots are great but the first initial drum hit comes off as jarring and the subsequent hits feel slightly overcompressed or processed in a way makes the drum feel dynamically squished. The kick to snare ratio is pretty much dead on but I feel like the entire kit could go down by a Db or two if not the snare just a touch.

- I can hear the attack of a slamming compressor at the beginning bass guitar solo at 1:29 and it really squeezes the bass guitar during it's most prominent moment in the song. I suggest lowering the ratio and threshold just so that the compressor keep the peaks controlled and to thicken it up with a max gain reduction of -3Db. Any higher and you'll hear it working harder than it needs to.

- Good creative processing on the guitar and piano. It's subtle but perfectly fits the song and fills the track a bit more. Similarly, they are at a good level and don't mask anything else. If anything just push the reverb on the piano a bit more to fill it out further but that's entirely a creative decision. The bass could go down by a Db or two during its supporting sections.

Keep doing good things!
Interactive Frequency Chart
SAE Creative Media Institute
Bachelor of Audio Engineering at SAE Byron Bay.