Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Milk Cow Blues Mix
I've done lots of recording/mixing before, but I've only recently started looking into what I should actually be doing while mixing. This is my first attempt after gaining some knowledge. Be as... constructive... as you'd like. I can handle it. Big Grin

Edits:

Take 2

- Vocal was recorded with reverb, so I sent all instruments through a bus with more reverb and sent the vocal directly to the master to try to even it out
- Turned up the vocal
-De-essed the vocal
- Added a slight fade out to knock out some hissing at the end of the tracks

.mp3    Practice #1 - Milk Cow Blues - Take 1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.19 MB)

.mp3    Practice #1 - Milk Cow Blues - Take 2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.19 MB)

The band sounds really neat, with a wide and natural soundscape. So why give the indie-singer treatment to a singer who's actually good? Meaning, she doesn't need that much reflection/reverb, nor does she have to be buried under the band. That could be a cool sound for a second voice, but this one can be louder, brighter and cleaner and the tune would benefit from the contrast between her and the blurrier band.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to do that, were you so inclined, because I'm quite the noob and still can see you have al the fundamentals well covered.
(27-07-2018, 09:12 AM)Deliza Wrote: The band sounds really neat, with a wide and natural soundscape. So why give the indie-singer treatment to a singer who's actually good? Meaning, she doesn't need that much reflection/reverb, nor does she have to be buried under the band. That could be a cool sound for a second voice, but this one can be louder, brighter and cleaner and the tune would benefit from the contrast between her and the blurrier band.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to do that, were you so inclined, because I'm quite the noob and still can see you have al the fundamentals well covered.

Thanks for your comments! I really liked your metaphor. The vocals, unfortunately, were recorded with that reverb on it. To fix it, I sent everything else through a reverb bus and sent the vocal straight to the master so it wasn't affected. Turning it up made the S's stick out way more, so I touched those up as well.