Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tears In The Rain - AZmix
Okay, here's a quick attempt at mixing this tune. Jazz is an interesting subject since often it seems the most important thing for a mixer is just to make sure there's a place for everything and maybe add a bit of reverb. That's basically what I tried to do here.

Problems encountered were first that I never did get a snare sound I was really happy with. However I also couldn't find a replacement that sounded like it fit so I had to stick with what was there.

Second, the drums were apparently synthesized (evidenced by the fact that there is *zero* spill) and all had an ambience on them that I didn't think really fit but also couldn't really manage to push it back so had to basically go with it. If I had something like iZotope RX, maybe I could have taken much of that off it but don't have the budget for stuff like that so it is what it is.

One other issue was that the rhythm guitars (the steel string acoustics), especially the first one, didn't sound present enough and since it is the first thing you hear, that means a sharp contrast between the textures of it and the electric and I wanted to try to avoid that. Despite attempts at radical EQ, I couldn't get it to sound quite the way I wanted to but it did improve.

Oh, also replaced both "cymbal" sounds. The first one (which I have panned left) I took to be a ride edge so replaced it with something more along those lines, the existing hits being totally out of character for the tune. The second one I just didn't take to so decided to try to find something that sounded better to me.

Anyway, here you go...

.mp3    tears-in-the-rain-mix-ltd.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

Old West Audio