Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May: 'Hold On You' FINAL MIX aboard
I thought I posted this song a long time ago, found it in my mix folder.
No samples, used the original drum tracks, both snare tracks have compression, 2 different EQ's and saturation to try to level the snare the best I could.

Comments welcome
Cheers
KSmile

Ver2
balanced some more automated snare some more very subtle..also noticed mine sounds faster, I checked sample rate and master rate all checks ok...anyways, if I figure it out ill post another.

VERSION CUBASE-03.mpg
Never figured out the reaper problem..put it in Cubase and seems ok.
Final mix for now Rolleyes
Comments Welcome!!
Cheers
K

.mp3    Hold on you-James May-003.mp3 --  (Download: 7.23 MB)

.mp3    Hold on you-James May-004.mp3 --  (Download: 7.23 MB)

.mp3    James May-Hold on you-cubase-03.mp3 --  (Download: 7.7 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Ándele, ándele, ándele!

But then it seems like pitch it's right, that's odd.
I'm feeling that voice and both rhythm guitars are all on too equal terms; not enough hierarchy but similar levels and frequencies and a clear stereo spot for each of them. Being busy guitar parts as they are (I find the low strings semimuted playing isn't helping at all), voice should be given some advantage to drive the song better.

The staccato parts on the choruses sound beautiful, really 3d and physical, like they really are moving some air. Also, nice breathy OH's.
Hi Deliza

I see what your saying, It does seem to be on 1 level, I mixed this one in the cans and used sonarworks reference 4. sounded good there...then flipped it over and yes it sounds busy and one level...back to the monitors..lol
Thanks for checking it out!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I'm using Reference on Reaper, too (v3 sadly, their update offers are pretty miserly). You may already know, but in case you're using it as a Master fx (which is pain-in-the cause you gotta switch it off to render or check on monitors), there's this option to use it as a monitor fx (right click on the fx button on the master track opening a different effects rack) so every plugin you load there will work over your monitoring output but without mingling with the "real" output signal.

Also, digging that electric guitar reverb (reverb/delay/echo, whatever) on the right! The slide guitar could use some of that, too; probably even more to make it more snakey.
(20-07-2018, 09:25 AM)Deliza Wrote: I'm using Reference on Reaper, too (v3 sadly, their update offers are pretty miserly). You may already know, but in case you're using it as a Master fx (which is pain-in-the cause you gotta switch it off to render or check on monitors), there's this option to use it as a monitor fx (right click on the fx button on the master track opening a different effects rack) so every plugin you load there will work over your monitoring output but without mingling with the "real" output signal.

Also, digging that electric guitar reverb (reverb/delay/echo, whatever) on the right! The slide guitar could use some of that, too; probably even more to make it more snakey.

Thanks for the heads up on reference. I played with it a bit..its pretty cool! Im back on the monitors now, just getting my room set up..I probably shouldn't have used them yet because Im not finished treating the room, but I pulled the socks out of the ports on the old Events and gave it a shot..lolTongue I do all the larger projects in Reaper and the smaller projects in Cubase. The first 2 mixes in reaper were weird, still couldn't figure out why it was doing that, put it in Cubase and seems ok..ohh wellConfused
New mix feels a lot more solid to me..took your advice and juiced up the slide Guitar..snakey!! maybe shakey..lol
Thanks!!
Cheers
KSmile

Solid enough, this is the "no more kids gloves, Memphis Grizzlies' grit and grind" mix, I'd say! There's a couple moments of Californicationism (just after the middle 8 solo) where the low end may get just too gritty (more so since your global tone reminds me of 80's indie which doesn't get along well with today's in-your-face punch), but it's miles ahead of the SpeedyGonzales mixes, and impressively wide sounding.

"Snakey" was a blind shot based on "snake" ("serpenteante", for the Spanish students), just me trying to invent a word to combine "twisty" and "swampy". Whatever, I meant that sound you got, exactly. Good job putting some toughness on this song!

PS - I'm thinking that the Reaper mixes artifacts might come from a slight playrate change (assuming you have it set up to preserve pitch). I happened to me working with a theme that didn't show the playrate value unless you click on it and besides, me and many people hide the transport bar most of the time, so that's a possibility.
(22-07-2018, 10:28 AM)Deliza Wrote: Solid enough, this is the "no more kids gloves, Memphis Grizzlies' grit and grind" mix, I'd say! There's a couple moments of Californicationism (just after the middle 8 solo) where the low end may get just too gritty (more so since your global tone reminds me of 80's indie which doesn't get along well with today's in-your-face punch), but it's miles ahead of the SpeedyGonzales mixes, and impressively wide sounding.

"Snakey" was a blind shot based on "snake" ("serpenteante", for the Spanish students), just me trying to invent a word to combine "twisty" and "swampy". Whatever, I meant that sound you got, exactly. Good job putting some toughness on this song!

PS - I'm thinking that the Reaper mixes artifacts might come from a slight playrate change (assuming you have it set up to preserve pitch). I happened to me working with a theme that didn't show the playrate value unless you click on it and besides, me and many people hide the transport bar most of the time, so that's a possibility.

Hi Deliza
I agree with the low end, funny, I had the bass and kick right where I wanted them and last minute decision I compressed both a hair more trying to get more punch and went too far. Ill check the playrate on reaper again
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
Cheers
KSmile