Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebuild the Evil - Burial of Silence
Hey all,

I took about 45 minutes to crank out this mix. I really don't like drum samples most of the time so I only used the mics to get the drum sound. The bleed was tough to deal with but I think it came out alright.

.mp3    Rebirth Of Evil 1.mp3 --  (Download: 3.62 MB)

.mp3    Rebuild the Evill 3.mp3 --  (Download: 3.62 MB)

guitars are kinda harsh and distract from the overall mix imo.
the snare is almost non-existant as well.

Check out Wilkinson DeBleeder vst its like $40 and probably the best VST for dealing with drum bleed. Smile
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
(14-07-2018, 12:39 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: guitars are kinda harsh and distract from the overall mix imo.
the snare is almost non-existant as well.

Check out Wilkinson DeBleeder vst its like $40 and probably the best VST for dealing with drum bleed. Smile

Thanks for the feedback! I re-eq'd the guitars and beefed up the snare a bit.
Pretty good mix overall, I think. I'm not a big fan of gating, so one way I deal with bleed is to throw a deesser or multiband comp on your tom bus and target the cymbal area with a fairly wide band. In my mind, the bleed is what helps glue the kit together but it can definitely be overbearing at times...and more often than not. However, I like cymbals to help brighten things up.

For some easy tom control, JST Tominator is pretty good too...but DeBleeder is better since it seems more configurable. Tominator has a lot of controls that don't seem to do much. For a wicked gate (when necessary), nothing beats Unfiltered Audio's G8 imo. The full version is pricey, but the CM version costs the price of a magazine...5 bucks.

I think we all struggle with toms in these situations. All we get are some short sporadic fills to try to figure out how to deal with them....no real "sound check" opportunities.

The vocals seems a bit drown in the reverb

Guitars are better than the ones in your first mix, but still sound harsh IMO.
Bass needs to be cranked up.
Drums seems good, but too much cymbals. Bleed's fault, I think.

Also, there's a issue with guitars 1 and 2 (it's not your fault), you got to realign them with guitars 3 and 4. If you listen to the last chorus, they should play the same thing, but they're kind of delayed.
I think the problem is in the 61st bar, they start too early.

Cheers!