Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haendel - Mix by Olli H
Now that was very good info. I take it the same applies for the Bach piece, same fecordin, isnt it ? Thank you !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Inteersting stuff. I did also some distance calculations but i used samples. I'm not sure if my calculations were correct but i thought that in this case one sample would be something like 8 mm. 340000/44100=0.77. So 130 cm would be the same as delay of 169 samples (130/0.77=169). But after the calculations I still tried to listen if I could hear any relevant differences. (I didn't hear any big differences Smile ) If I remember correctly I didn't use those exact calculations, but something quite near.

I borrowed some classical CDs from library. Tried to learn what audience wants to hear and made a new version. New version added to first post.

Difference is not that big to previous one, but I think that all the comments you had given to my first mix were very good and had found the weak points very precisely. Thanks for them.

Now there little bit less low end.
I tried to turn the cembalo down.
Slightly more space.
Less compression.

BTW. "Bach: Brandenburg COncertos" cd had rms jumping between -10-15 dB. And dynamic range was most of the time around 9-12 dB. At least on that cd compressor had been used.
Hello!

Kindof confusing as you use both mm and cm. However still correct calculations. You might not be able to fully hear the differences that this creates, its more on a subconscious level. Theres a thing called Haas Effect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precedence_effect which maybe is in this direction. But for me the best example may be having just a kick and a hihat playing. And if you push the hihat 3 ms forward it will just drive the track more.

Anyway much prefer the second version Big Grin
Thanks, then I didn't do the second version in vain.

For those interested in calculations, I think it goes like this:
Speed of sound: 340m/s
Samplerate: 44100 samples/s
340m = 340000 cm
340000 cm/44100 samples = 0.77 cm/sample
340 m = 34'000 cm
So if I want to make up for a distance of 2.5 meter I take 250cm and divide with 0,77 to get the number of samples that equals ? If its so 2,5 meter means 324,68 samples.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Yes, I guess so, but samples don't have fractions. But the main thing is to use your ears and find the best sound. Does it sound better? I guess that most of the time there's no need to do any adjustments. Distant mic is distant mic and contains more reverby version of the same signal. But if there's phase problems....
On sample level one can do much more precise adjustments. (44 samples within 1 ms) Ken Lewis from audioschoolonline seems to be using sample-level adjustments, but he doesn't do calculations, at least not in his tutorials.