Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burial Of Silience (BCS Mix)
Really cool, minimalistic song. I've always loved mixing with fewer tracks. The recordings are quite good as well (not really digging the bass though), so I hope I did this song some justice! Let me know what you think of it, though. I've only started mixing this today, so I'm sure there's a lot more room for improvement.
If you want drums/guitar tracks, please let me know, too!

Edit 1 : my new UPDATED mix is here, check it out! (the 2nd one)

.m4a    Burial Of Silence (BCS Mix 3).m4a --  (Download: 4.99 MB)

.m4a    Burial Of Silence (BCS New Mastered).m4a --  (Download: 5 MB)

Anyone? I gladly accept all critiques!

After resting this song for a while and came back with a fresh ear. My own critiques would be:

-A little bit too much low end.
-Kicks and Snares don't cut through some parts.
-Vocal is clipping in some parts (it is present in the raw track, but I'll see what I can do.)

How about you guys?
Hey bcs_mix!
I think you've done a really good job on this one!
There are some minor things i think i would've done differently.
Guitars have some nasty frequencies between 2k-6k. I would take some very narrow Q curves and try to find them. Also try using LP-filters on the guitars, but don't make them loose their shine.
Drums are sampled right? I would try to find another sample for the snare. It sounds non-natural and kinda boring for me personally. Or might be the reverb that i don't really like. Well it's just my taste.
I don't think i have more than that. Great job dude! Keep it up!
Thanks for the feedback!
-You were absolutely right about the guitars. I'm fixing them at the moment.
-I used provided kick samples only for the high end "clicks" and very little of the provided snare samples only to smoothen the gated real snare hits (it's barely existent, even I can't hear it unless in Solo). So the drums are like 90% real recordings. No drum replacements. I'll see what I can do with the snare, though. I don't have fancy plugins, only stock plugins, so please don't expect major changes XD.

Cheers, I really appreciate your help!
Hey, BCS
Take my suggestions with a grain of salt because I'm still a newbie at mixing:

- The snare could use some more body. Mostly the strike/transient comes through to my ears.
- I agree with bangbang on the extra frequencies on the guitars. My ear is not discerning enough yet to translate that to a numerical value, though
- Low end actually sounds pretty good to me – bass guitar in general sounds great. Audible but not overpowering while adding that metal chug
- The intro vocals at the beginning, “BY your side” (or is he saying “BITE your tongue”?) are too loud. Not sure if that's the clipping you're talking about or not, but it really grabs a little bit too much.

Thanks for sharing!
Sound great, i like the old school sound of this. Here are the mistakes i found just because you wanted it. Vocals have too much reverb/delay. snare has a boomy sound around 300-400hz. These 2 are the biggest mistakes. There are some small compression mistakes. Drums and guitars feels like they didn't blend because of tone difference is too much they dont feel like they are in the same song. For bass there isn't much you can do its recorded really badly with bad pickups.
Hey, after quite a lot of adjustments and think I'm gonna settle down with mix. I actually made quite some more after this version, but after letting them dry for a few days, this one "clicks" to me the most. Probably gonna move on from this project now because I don't fell like it's getting anywhere, but I still want to hear some feedback so I decided to post it here!

.m4a    Burial Of Silence (BCS New Mastered).m4a --  (Download: 5 MB)

Very cool. It's like an old school Venom mix. The big 80's drums and the 70's guitar tone kinda throw things off balance, but in a strange cool way.