Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think?
What can I do to improve this mix? What would you change?

.mp3    Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 17.17 MB)

Hi 197Max:

These are my impressions in regards to your mix. I like the sheen you got in the Acoustic guitars. The balances in the instruments are working fine except the BGVs, maybe a little bit up it will be more effective for the small airplay they have. Drums are punchy and crispy. I like that. Check your bus or drum compressor, I can hear some pumping every time the kick hits, it sucks downs other instruments. I dont know if it was a side chain of the bass with the kick but you will notice it like an air sucking sensation with the kick hits. The lead vocals are great, dry and forward, is like if you have Justin in front of your face. The Overheads are not harsh and that's a great thing because many of us here overemphasize from 3.5 to 6 kHz. I noticed you took out the electric guitars, cleaning and building your arrangement from less to more. Overall very pleasing and hi-fi R&B mix. Good job and keep on mixing.
Thanks for the feedback javierpg84 Big Grin

I tried turning up the backing vocals as you suggested and they're sounding better now.

I did use sidechain compression on the melodic instruments, mostly on the bass. I do agree it could be a little less intense, I often find myself using more than I need in that area. Tongue

I didn't take out the electric guitars, I think they're just hidden behind the acoustic ones.

Thanks again for the feedback, it really helps! I've attached a new version with the changes discussed. I think it's better than before.

.mp3    Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 17.17 MB)

(06-07-2018, 01:04 PM)197Max Wrote: Thanks for the feedback javierpg84 Big Grin

I tried turning up the backing vocals as you suggested and they're sounding better now.

I did use sidechain compression on the melodic instruments, mostly on the bass. I do agree it could be a little less intense, I often find myself using more than I need in that area. Tongue

I didn't take out the electric guitars, I think they're just hidden behind the acoustic ones.

Thanks again for the feedback, it really helps! I've attached a new version with the changes discussed. I think it's better than before.

Excellent corrections, I hope you like it better now. Ill give you an extra that you may want to use in lead guitars at solos. I usually use a stereo delay in a send configuration. Set delay time 42 and 46 ms Left and Right with a short feedback. Low pass it at 4.5 khz and blend it in at taste. you will hear how the solo guitar that usually is really mono starts to expand and get big without being to distracting. It works well for mono instruments when you want to stereorize them. Have fun