Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ae Mere Humsafar_mix Tommy Marcinek (tjmtruth)
AngelAngelAngel

Hello to everyone, especially the artist!

I spent a lot of time on this mix for several reasons: First, the song is just great and no matter how long I worked on the mix I just never got tired of it, and that's a good thing. Second, there were many challenges and I like a challenge in mixing.

In order to really make this work according to what I heard in my head, I had to take a few arrangement liberties but none that are too noticeable. First, as indicated, the vocals needed to be pitch-shifted. That took quite a bit of time because of the subtle nuances in the vocal embellishments that are typical in this style of music. And since I don't know the language, a lot of the tuning adjustments in those embellishment areas were very difficult. There was one spot in particular near the end at about 4:56 that was just not going to pitch-shift well without noticeable artifacts, so I did something rather creative I think, and it sounds just perfect with the note ringing out with delay and cutting out the embellishment that I could not correct with pitch shifting.

The bass, also, in several spots I had to correct. There was just too much dissonance in some spots (especially in the beginning area) so I either eliminated the dissonance by removing the note/s or I copied and/or pitch-shifted where necessary to make the bass sound right according to the basic chord structure I was hearing from all the other instruments. A few bass timing issues too. Now, however, I believe that this song can now be fully enjoyed by anyone not even knowing the language or being familiar with this style of music. It's just a real pretty and melodic tune!!!

Well, I've said a lot but I did put a lot of time into this and thought it would be a good idea to explain what I did and why.

Peace.....hope you all like it.

Tommy Marcinek

.mp3    Ae Mere Humsafar_14M.mp3 --  (Download: 9.94 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Hello Tommy. You've been busy indeed, enjoyed the listen.

I'd clean up the verbs, they tend to get a bit congested from the build up on occasion for me.

Early on it sounded like the kick had too much attack, kind of rock style? Then I thought it might be a tambourine or similar element hitting at the same time as the kick giving the illusion?

The piano is a bit on the harsher side (as in digital), suggesting the attack could be eased up a bit to give some smoothness. I think a warmer timbre would help bring the song to the listener, crucially during the run in where it's quite naked.

Bass translated on small monitors rather well. Cymbal swells can get a little harsh. Nice wide mix which held up surprisingly well in mono though I'd widen the vocal a little otherwise the balance jumps out. In stereo it would make him feel a little less pinched.

Is it me, or is there some pumping going on with the masterbuss, or some sidechaining I'm possibly sensing?

Some nicework here, thanks for the listen.
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(06-07-2018, 09:40 PM)Monk Wrote: Hello Tommy. You've been busy indeed, enjoyed the listen.

I'd clean up the verbs, they tend to get a bit congested from the build up on occasion for me.

Early on it sounded like the kick had too much attack, kind of rock style? Then I thought it might be a tambourine or similar element hitting at the same time as the kick giving the illusion?

The piano is a bit on the harsher side (as in digital), suggesting the attack could be eased up a bit to give some smoothness. I think a warmer timbre would help bring the song to the listener, crucially during the run in where it's quite naked.

Bass translated on small monitors rather well. Cymbal swells can get a little harsh. Nice wide mix which held up surprisingly well in mono though I'd widen the vocal a little otherwise the balance jumps out. In stereo it would make him feel a little less pinched.

Is it me, or is there some pumping going on with the masterbuss, or some sidechaining I'm possibly sensing?

Some nicework here, thanks for the listen.

-------------------
Monk, you got a good ear my friend. Yes, I did a bit of side-chain compression on the synth pad with the lead vocal doing the triggering....just a tad so I'm very surprised you heard that. All your other suggestions are great. The only thing is, the last time I did a song like this I was told that there wasn't enough delay/reverb...this style seems to demand it otherwise it's not considered in that genre. I'm only going by what I was told by another artist a while back. I think the kick simply has a bit more beater click in the beginning part and elsewhere later on.....I think they did the kick in sections and eq'd/processed it differently. If I had the time I'd go back and fix all those things but I put so much time into it I have to move on the other things. Did you do a mix on this? I have to check. Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek