Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dead Enemies
Another cool track! I used FabFilter Timeless 2 on the FX tracks and Bx Rock Rack v3 on the DI's. Also trying out Bx Console N on this mix. Thanks for uploading!

V2: Raised the vox, raised the synths/piano. Cleaned up the kick and bass a little, used transientMonster on the kick for a little sustain. Parallel'd a small amount of distortion for the bass. Pushed the reverb on the drums a bit more.

.mp3    Dark Ride - Dead Enemies.mp3 --  (Download: 13.13 MB)

.mp3    Dark Ride - Dead Enemies V2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.22 MB)

Hello there. You got something good going on here.

*voice needs to be louder. Snare sounds louder than the voice.
*drums could benefit from cleaning some muddy freq. Off of it. Also some reverb on it would be nice. It sounds very dry.
*guitar tones are pretty good.

I would check some of the other mixes here and compare with your mix. You would be surprised how much stuff you may find in comparison with your mix.
(03-07-2018, 06:40 PM)Shul Wrote: Hello there. You got something good going on here.

*voice needs to be louder. Snare sounds louder than the voice.
*drums could benefit from cleaning some muddy freq. Off of it. Also some reverb on it would be nice. It sounds very dry.
*guitar tones are pretty good.

I would check some of the other mixes here and compare with your mix. You would be surprised how much stuff you may find in comparison with your mix.

Thanks for listening Shul! Yeah, I think I need to bring down the guitars a tiny bit during the verse and raise the vox over all, I think it will make it a little more dynamic. I have reverb on the snare and the full kit but probably should play with its level a little more. Again thanks for the comments!
Wow. MASSIVE Guitars. VERY dense mix. Having goosebumps while listening. But the vocals need to be louder in some parts of the song, especially in the first half. And some of the FX tracks are totally wrong - please listen to the ref mix to hear how they where supposed to sound Smile

Fix the fx stuff and add a bit more volume to the main vocals in the first half and you have a killer mix.

PS: DONT bring down the guitars. bring the vocals up, leave the rest alone. It's MASSIVE and it needs to stay that way.
holy shit, listening to it again. the guitars and the bass are KILLING IT in the verse. KILLING IT!!!! Smile
(04-07-2018, 01:14 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: holy shit, listening to it again. the guitars and the bass are KILLING IT in the verse. KILLING IT!!!! Smile

LOL! glad you like it. I was kind of at a loss on the gap filler vocal with the FX, I thumbed through a few hundred FX for it but hardly anything sounded worth printing, may have another go at it and figure something out. I didn't really care for the altro fade out, I felt the guitar solo's were having an argument and they had rising frustrations so I kept it like it is. More to play with later.
Love this mix man! THICK!!
Any tips or hints on how you processed the panned opening riff? It sounds like the amp is sitting right next to me.
(17-08-2018, 03:27 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Any tips or hints on how you processed the panned opening riff? It sounds like the amp is sitting right next to me.

Thanks for listening! Well, I really didn't do much to the guitars. On the bus I used Bx_Console, default settings, mostly just for the Total Harmonic Distortion feature. Also used Virtual Tube Collection, New York mod with saturation on 1 and Virtual Tape Machine. But I did run the whole mix through parallel processing using Waves Doubler4 with the direct sig disengaged leaving the sides, seemed to make the mix feel bigger.
I listened to V2

The good:
+ Rhythm guitars fit right
+ Drums do not lack punch
+ Vocals have good FX
+ Synths sound like they fit right

The bad:
- I feel like the kick could use more low end
- Mix is just a bit too boxy for my taste. I would cut out some of the low bids just a little bit
- I feel like the mix could be thicker. Maybe bring in more low end from the bass possibly. It might just be the fact that I think it’s just a bit boxy.
- Drums in general sound just a bit too raw
- The guitar solo delay effect is a bit too much for me. Sounds too much like Ring of Saturn or something. (Not that it’s bad, but just doesn’t sound right for this song imo)
- The fade out at the very end has some pops coming from the solo guitar

Overall, lots of good stuff here! I’m really just nit picking about a couple of things.

Good luck,
Nick