Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hip-Hop producer here, but I couldn't pass by this one
Hey everyone,

Would love some feedback since I'm out of my comfort zone !

Had a lot of fun mixing this but I wonder what others might think of the decision making, so feel free to have at it Wink

Cheers !

Edit : Gave it another go, what can I say, I feel I could keep tweaking for this to be "perfect" but let's face it, it's never going to be...

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Stop & Rise 1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.47 MB)

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Stop & Rise 3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.47 MB)

actually this is nice mix... but for this kind of genre you can be more bold with the guitars so the rock essence will present... i can still sense of hip-hop kind things in this mix like your reverb on the guitars... the reverb on the guitars a lil bit too deep for this genre.. but of course you did it well... it blends perfectly with the song.. like I said aside from the genre this is a nice mix Smile
(07-07-2018, 05:46 PM)Gexx Wrote: actually this is nice mix... but for this kind of genre you can be more bold with the guitars so the rock essence will present... i can still sense of hip-hop kind things in this mix like your reverb on the guitars... the reverb on the guitars a lil bit too deep for this genre.. but of course you did it well... it blends perfectly with the song.. like I said aside from the genre this is a nice mix Smile

Thank you for your comment Gexx ! I appreciate it.
By reverb being too deep, do you mean it's not bright enough ?
Do you think I was too conservative on all the guitars ? Would you let me know what you would have done differently ?
To me that #3 (second post) is in pocket, sounds correct. Don't confine your perceptions to style of music etc, you would never know this genre isn't something you work with, only because you said it.

Good work, do some other songs here, this one you don't need to touch anymore.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.

Thank you for your comment Gexx ! I appreciate it.
By reverb being too deep, do you mean it's not bright enough ?
Do you think I was too conservative on all the guitars ? Would you let me know what you would have done differently ?
[/quote]

your reverb setting is good... in this kind of approach your mix is good... well balanced.. of course if you change the setting it might as well affect the overall sounding and im not suggesting that...

genre is just matter of taste... , im agree with druglord... technically this mix is good... but if you ask me "is this mix rock enough ?" i'll answer "no it's not rockin enough"
@Digitaldruglord, thank you for your feedback ! Positive reviews help a lot as well, so thank you for your time Smile

@Gexx, I believe I do get your point and that is the main reason why I say I could keep tweaking.
But I believe I will follow digitaldruglord's advice and leave this as is because the lesson is learnt for next time.
Thank you for your feedback !

Again, thanks for your time guys, this helps me a lot !

Off to listen to your mixes now Wink
Hi Adamas59,

I listened to your mix too. First off, a big disclaimer. It feels weird to comment while realising that my mix isn't even good enough, but on the other hand, I hear some things that might be useful. Just to be quick and concise, here are some thoughts point by point:

1. the esses sound weird, too much de-essing?
2. the overall sound is rather dark compared to the general soundscape of this genre, but like everything, subject to discussion of course.
references: Nickleback - Feed the Machine
Evanescence - Made of Stone
Metallica - Now That We're Dead
3. the guitars lack directness and maybe the drums are too loud. I like your guitar sounds better than mine though.
4. I think the solo guitar isn't loud enough
5. I hear a lack of cohesiveness

Humbly yours,
FP
(08-07-2018, 01:49 PM)Frequency Painter Wrote: Hi Adamas59,

I listened to your mix too. First off, a big disclaimer. It feels weird to comment while realising that my mix isn't even good enough, but on the other hand, I hear some things that might be useful. Just to be quick and concise, here are some thoughts point by point:

1. the esses sound weird, too much de-essing?
2. the overall sound is rather dark compared to the general soundscape of this genre, but like everything, subject to discussion of course.
references: Nickleback - Feed the Machine
Evanescence - Made of Stone
Metallica - Now That We're Dead
3. the guitars lack directness and maybe the drums are too loud. I like your guitar sounds better than mine though.
4. I think the solo guitar isn't loud enough
5. I hear a lack of cohesiveness

Humbly yours,
FP

Just a note to these things in my opinion:

I feel based on producer taste, the mastering process would easily address all of these prefs, for instance, a Weiss De-esser would eliminate all the top end esses easily. In terms of the track dynamics, running it through a SSL Stereo Buss @ 2-ratio would apply a tight glue.. A Q eq could reach in to any of the parts in this mix to raise or reduce objects as desired.. as a mix, I think its fitting for a mastering session to finalize it.

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.