Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammer Down
This is probably my favorite of the 4. A relaxing mix, well prepped. Thanks for uploading!

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down.mp3 --  (Download: 11.49 MB)

Very, very solid mix. Good job. A bit dark, but that's totally okay for me. Balance is awesome, almost everything sits where it needs to be.

Two things to consider:

1. Synths could be a tad louder - your mix has more emphasis on guitars, which is always a great choice for a metal band. But seeing this song in the context of an album with almost no synths in the other eight songs it would be refreshing to give the synths in Hammer Down a bit more weight and importance. It would give Hammer Down a slightly different sound compared with the rest of the album.

2. The question / answer-part in the third part of the solo is a bit underwhelming because the melody guitar is too low in the mix and you don't get this back & forth feeling between solo and melody guitars.

After listening to the mix for a third round I would also do a bit more volume automation and bring down the volume of verse so the jump from verse to bridge to chorus is bigger. it's all on the same energy level which sounds a bit boring.
Hello there.

I agree with blitzz. There is no change in the songs dynamic on key changes of the song. There is no evolution on chorus. Not sure if this is because you compressed everything too much but automation like he said is going to help you here.
Not a big fan of the guitar eq choice but it does help with the dark sound of it. Overall I would like a bit more top end to enhance some stuff.

Other that that this is a good mix keep it up.
Hey guys, Thanks for the comments/critique. I agree with using automation to make it feel a bit more stepped, I don't think I used any automation through out the mix. As for the synths, I could have experimented a little more I guess, I don't care to much for synth in metal and was hesitant to bring it up louder in the mix. But I'll play with it. Again thanks!Smile
Hey man, really good one. I like dark, too. One thing strange is that I'm hearing some pumping that is almost swelling like little volume ramps.
Scratch that, it was my ears that were ramping Smile