Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Griffo: 'Pennies'
My Mix

Comments Welcome

Cheers
KSmile

Version 2
Pulled vocals back, took some highs off the guitars. tried to get the snare sounding better.

.mp3    Young Griffo-Pennies-01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.38 MB)

.mp3    Young Griffo-Pennies-02.mp3 --  (Download: 9.38 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
One more time!!

After coming back to it and listening, I wasn't to thrilled..lol. Ripped it down and started from scratch. This one feels better to me.

Comments welcome!!

Cheers
K

.mp3    Young Griffo-Pennies-04.mp3 --  (Download: 9.43 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey KM,
Very Good Job! Smile
The only thing actually comes to my mind is the snare, nice tone, but a bit too thin, like a bit lack of energy. Vocal sound nice.
Weel done Smile
(12-09-2018, 09:29 AM)Lethan Wrote: Hey KM,
Very Good Job! Smile
The only thing actually comes to my mind is the snare, nice tone, but a bit too thin, like a bit lack of energy. Vocal sound nice.
Weel done Smile

Thanks Lethan
Ill address that in the next version. maybe some layering or a different reverb.
KSmile

Hey Kirk, I really enjoyed the 3rd mix you put up. It has a nice full & punchy sound overall, and I really like the way you treated the vocals. They have some nice air without being too harsh or sibilant. The low end is nice and full, and the drums sound good to my ear.

The guitars are a little more difficult to deal with because the source sounds are probably less-than-optimal at capture. That said, I think you have gotten sound very respectable tones here.

I think the challenge with this song is that it has a lot of space. That can be a good thing, but in terms of instrumentation and parts, the song is a little under-produced IMO. The only way to really fill out the sonic spectrum is to use some production techniques to give a little more space and interest to the sparce verses, and a little more density to the chorus to help it hit harder and provide some contrast. At least to me, that is where the songs long-term dynamic intentions seem to be pointing.

You definitely have a very nice mix here that could serve as a springboard o pursue that end, if you felt so inclined. Cool stuff!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(27-09-2018, 02:42 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hey Kirk, I really enjoyed the 3rd mix you put up. It has a nice full & punchy sound overall, and I really like the way you treated the vocals. They have some nice air without being too harsh or sibilant. The low end is nice and full, and the drums sound good to my ear.

The guitars are a little more difficult to deal with because the source sounds are probably less-than-optimal at capture. That said, I think you have gotten sound very respectable tones here.

I think the challenge with this song is that it has a lot of space. That can be a good thing, but in terms of instrumentation and parts, the song is a little under-produced IMO. The only way to really fill out the sonic spectrum is to use some production techniques to give a little more space and interest to the sparce verses, and a little more density to the chorus to help it hit harder and provide some contrast. At least to me, that is where the songs long-term dynamic intentions seem to be pointing.

You definitely have a very nice mix here that could serve as a springboard o pursue that end, if you felt so inclined. Cool stuff!

Hey FF
I agree with what your saying 100%, Ill see what I can do on the next version to get some more density and dynamics in those parts.

Thanks for the comments and help
Cheers
K
Hey Kirk,

nice mix (nr.3). Just 2 small things:
In the Intro the gtr and vocals are fighting a bit, I would bring the Guitar up a bit. Rest of the song is fine. Also the bass guitar is a bit too loud for me.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Sounds like you're on your game with V4. Sounds great in the cans. If I have one thing to say, is it's maybe a little weighted as far as the guitars go in the left ear. The balance sounds good in the verses. Could you swing some attention right for the choruses? I think this may work. An enjoyable listen K
(27-09-2018, 08:11 AM)LukasL Wrote: Hey Kirk,

nice mix (nr.3). Just 2 small things:
In the Intro the gtr and vocals are fighting a bit, I would bring the Guitar up a bit. Rest of the song is fine. Also the bass guitar is a bit too loud for me.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Hey Lucas
good points, Im working on that now, Ill do that
Thanks!

KSmile
(27-09-2018, 11:29 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Sounds like you're on your game with V4. Sounds great in the cans. If I have one thing to say, is it's maybe a little weighted as far as the guitars go in the left ear. The balance sounds good in the verses. Could you swing some attention right for the choruses? I think this may work. An enjoyable listen K

Hey Dave
Listening now I can really hear the imbalance, Ill correct that
Thanks for the good ears
Cheers
KSmile