Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Stone Culture: 'Fragile Thoughts' - FXOjafar's live'ish mix
This reminds me of my first job at a "live to digital" (Sony PCM to Betamax!) studio in the early 1990s. Except back then we had to record live to stereo then we had 2 extra tracks for overdubs.

There was a lot of spill possibly from not so careful mic placement and I don't think the engineer was able to get the bass/guitar players to turn down lower than 11 Wink

Regardless it was workable. I put a very short delay on the guitar and panned it to make it nice and wide.

The noise was a doozy to fix. After several attempts I ended up mixing down with the noise and removing it in Audacity while topping and tailing.

I tried to make it sound like it was a live performance in a small, smoky venue. Smile

DAW: Reason 7
Headphones: Sony MDR-XB900

.mp3    Fragile Thoughts.mp3 --  (Download: 7.13 MB)

the vibe fits the song.

The balance is good too.

But it lacks some excitement. The voice is dull and the reverb makes it a little boxy and demo sounding. And the kick drum is too dry, speacially against the wet instruments, it feels too upfront making the voice feel too in the back.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(23-08-2013, 03:15 AM)jeremias666 Wrote: the vibe fits the song.

The balance is good too.

But it lacks some excitement. The voice is dull and the reverb makes it a little boxy and demo sounding. And the kick drum is too dry, speacially against the wet instruments, it feels too upfront making the voice feel too in the back.

I totally agree. It lacks some vibrance and color, shinny color. But I noticed that this mix is one of the few that the Bass Drum is effective end present. Great!