Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming from an Electronic Music Production Background...
Hey friends I have been producing electronic music the past few years and recently decided to give mixing live music a try. This is the first mix I have ever completed and was curious to see what people think! Feel free to suggest constructive criticism, I believe we are all here to get better at what we love. If you have any questions or want feedback on your version just post a link and I will check it out!

Much Love! Big Grin

PandaManatee

P.S. I guess I also "mastered" the song too

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers Im Alright final .mp3 --  (Download: 5.72 MB)

Some things I noticed:
  • There seems to be a lot of reverb.
  • Most of the instruments sound very thin, esp. the percussion.
  • The drums sound nice ’n fat.
  • The percussion is louder than the lead guitar. Weird choice. Smile
  • The mid frequencies seem to be very present which gives the whole track a tin sound.
Most mixes done in Reaper or Bitwig on a MacBook Pro using Sony MDR-7506 headphones and some hifi system with old Saba speakers in a small-ish untreated room. If I commented on your mix, please check the board for my mix and reciprocate. :) Thank you!
(21-06-2018, 06:51 PM)Bombe Wrote: Some things I noticed:
  • There seems to be a lot of reverb.
  • Most of the instruments sound very thin, esp. the percussion.
  • The drums sound nice ’n fat.
  • The percussion is louder than the lead guitar. Weird choice. Smile
  • The mid frequencies seem to be very present which gives the whole track a tin sound.

Hey thanks for the comment. I am not sure about the reverb, I used very little, just a tad on a send track for the vocals. I am curious to how you listened (speaker wise)? just because I am curious which instruments sound thin? Not saying your wrong just trying to hear what you hear Big Grin
I listened to it using Sony headphones and some old Saba speakers.

The acoustic guitars in the beginning sound thin, as does e.g. the guiro from the percussion, plus it all sounds super-roomy (which probably doesn’t help the impression of the thinnyness Smile.
Most mixes done in Reaper or Bitwig on a MacBook Pro using Sony MDR-7506 headphones and some hifi system with old Saba speakers in a small-ish untreated room. If I commented on your mix, please check the board for my mix and reciprocate. :) Thank you!
(21-06-2018, 08:45 PM)Bombe Wrote: I listened to it using Sony headphones and some old Saba speakers.

The acoustic guitars in the beginning sound thin, as does e.g. the guiro from the percussion, plus it all sounds super-roomy (which probably doesn’t help the impression of the thinnyness Smile.

Right on, thanks for the input!
Also at my core I am a drummer so that makes perfect sense that I want all the cowbell it can handle lol
Hey PandaManateeSmile
You said that you have very litle reverb, but maybe is to long. Sounds like it is a 3s long, or it's maybe a long delay..?
It seems thats everything is too much compressed and pumping. Vocal is a bit buried by the instrumentation, it shuld be little more upfront.
You definatly have different approach to fx, but it's totaly ok, just learn to control this fx to get more cleaner sounding mix.
This is few things which i noticed on first hearing. Just keep working.Wink
(22-06-2018, 10:31 AM)Nikola Mikovic Wrote: Hey PandaManateeSmile
You said that you have very litle reverb, but maybe is to long. Sounds like it is a 3s long, or it's maybe a long delay..?
It seems thats everything is too much compressed and pumping. Vocal is a bit buried by the instrumentation, it shuld be little more upfront.
You definatly have different approach to fx, but it's totaly ok, just learn to control this fx to get more cleaner sounding mix.
This is few things which i noticed on first hearing. Just keep working.Wink

Thanks friend! I think what you guys might be hearing is a slap delay that is on the vocals and the guitar, it kinda bounces in the quiet parts of the song probably from the compression, and yea I think I compressed too much as well, probably a trait I picked up using compression as a sound design tool rather than a utility tool. Good things to keep in mind! Thanks again for giving me some of your time!