Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ronnie Jones - Why Don't You Stay
I'm Noah P, a 15 year old musician/to be engineer from New Zealand.

Looking for some feedback on this mix, hopefully you guys like it!

.mp3    01 - Noah - Why Don\'t You Stay.mp3 --  (Download: 12.46 MB)

Hey Noah. That sounds really serious, though some parts are feeling a little restrained to me (mainly Hammond, staccato guitar, tambourine, backing vocals and OH's). You got a brick solid kick/snare/acoustic guitar/bass combo driving the song (maybe just a little too heavy on the lowest end, but pretty radio/Spotify ready, methinks) and the voice sounds clear and tight (a little softer might glue better with the track, but again I'm talking of little details). That's the heart of the tune and it's good, but the other, more ornamental parts, feel shy in comparison.
Without messing with that core, you could try opening up the mix with some more hi end and/or saturation on some of those parts (perhaps with a Mid/Side eq and letting the Mid information unproccessed?). And maybe you're trying to squeeze too many parts in the middle of the stereo field. I dig the almost mono drums and it's great to see someone who's not double tracking everything just for the sake of it (really, that acoustic guitar works great as you have it). But for example, in the middle 8 (you know, before the solo) there seems to be some guitars panned center that are trying to say something but it's just to crammed in there.

Whatever, it's too early in the morning for my crappy English, but I'll say this: with you around I don't think I'll be looking for studio jobs in NZ anytime soon!