Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swinging Steaks: 'Lost My Way'
It's to cold to be wondering out to the shed (studio) at the moment. So this is a "headphone on the couch in front of the fire" mix. This is a song that I've been wanting to mix for a while, so here it is. No fancy moves nor timing adjustments just balance and bounce. For me it's sounding ok in the cans, although I'm sure there will be issues with how it translates. Feel free to comment. Thanks for listening.

Dave

.mp3    SwingingSteaks_LostMyWay_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.63 MB)

Hi Dave you made me laugh about too cold going into shed (studio) just like me ha ha! i have a little electric heater which i put on remotely so its nice and warm when i get in ,not for long though,your mix feels a little piercing on the upper mids mainly the gtrs.
Reaper user
(30-09-2018, 05:16 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave you made me laugh about too cold going into shed (studio) just like me ha ha! i have a little electric heater which i put on remotely so its nice and warm when i get in ,not for long though,your mix feels a little piercing on the upper mids mainly the gtrs.

I kind of forgot about this one. Just had a listen out in the shed (It's warmed up a bit now) and yes I have to agree, it's quite nasty and hard to listen to. Time pending, I'll see if I can go back in and balance things better tonally. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
Ay Dios mío, cold in July!

What's up Dave. Main riff works great with that leslie thing on the guitar, as do the fuller and busier parts of the tune. This songs screams Big Star and Teenage Fanclub, but your mix reminds me of Radiohead's "Black Star", with that kind of not cheesy AOR feeling.

Most issues are better pinpointed thru the verses. Kick is too soft and snare a little too loud. Acoustic guitar is kind of a spacehog. And yes, tone might be harsh. Jeff Buckley's "Last Goodbye" could be a useful reference, since it's another midtempo with a big snare and a lot of guitars but a nice low end.
(06-12-2018, 01:21 PM)Deliza Wrote: Ay Dios mío, cold in July!

What's up Dave. Main riff works great with that leslie thing on the guitar, as do the fuller and busier parts of the tune. This songs screams Big Star and Teenage Fanclub, but your mix reminds me of Radiohead's "Black Star", with that kind of not cheesy AOR feeling.

Most issues are better pinpointed thru the verses. Kick is too soft and snare a little too loud. Acoustic guitar is kind of a spacehog. And yes, tone might be harsh. Jeff Buckley's "Last Goodbye" could be a useful reference, since it's another midtempo with a big snare and a lot of guitars but a nice low end.

Thanks Deliza, sorry for the late reply. Yes it's hard to get balances right working with headphones, well for me anyway. I have listen to the mix through my monitors, and yes I hear the issues you speak of especially with the harshness. I need to stop being lazy and start working out in the shed again. In the heat or the coolBig Grin