Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CR Mix
Hello this is my mix, it has no master, so it is possible that you have to move up the fader to listen to it.

I appreciate the comments and if someone is encouraged to do a master.

.mp3    Pray For The Rain.mp3 --  (Download: 13.24 MB)

Very nice work, sir!
I find the toms are slightly poking out, lots of low end. I like the kick and snare. Nice bass sound.
The vocal reverb/delays maybe is a bit loud, or a bit too invading on the highs, I'd try some eq to sweeten it. The overdriven guitars feel a bit too mono IMO.
Keys are sitting very nicely.
The guitar solo section does not convince me, the song has a crescendo before that, but when the solo starts it feels like some energy went away.

Would love to get your opinion on my new mix as well.
cheers
Hi Carlos,

Very enjoyable listen! Really nice tones and balance.

Since you asked (and I was encouragedSmile, I did some mastering for you. I'm no mastering engineer and have a hard enough time just mixing.

The things I noticed mostly (to my ears) was some excessive thump in the kick and toms and just a couple of other frequencies that seemed to resonate most noticeably when bringing the volume up, but nothing major at all. The hihats got a little weird, but it might be due to mastering an mp3...to mp3 Smile

I did 2 versions and the only difference between them is how I dealt with the thump. The 1st version, I used a Pultec vst to clean it up statically. The 2nd version, I used a mix of Pultec and dynamic eq which seemed a little less intrusive but I had to be careful or the lows would start dancing around.

Mike

Edit: Added a third version with more glue, I think, and more volume.

.mp3    Pray For The Rain-CR Mix-TNS Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 13.07 MB)

.mp3    Pray For The Rain-CR Mix-TNS Mastered 2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.07 MB)

.mp3    Pray For The Rain-CR Mix-TNS Mastered 3.mp3 --  (Download: 13.07 MB)

Hello, thanks for taking this challenge, the truth this mix present many challenges, I listen carefully the three masters, my first answer is that I loved the number three, frequencies between 2k and 6k gave liveness to the song, the 1 and 2 I felt snare bit of compressed

I felt realized that the floor tom hits the bass. my fault.

I hope to hear your mixes soon and other people think about your masters.

regards
(04-10-2018, 02:20 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Hi Carlos,

Very enjoyable listen! Really nice tones and balance.

Since you asked (and I was encouragedSmile, I did some mastering for you. I'm no mastering engineer and have a hard enough time just mixing.

The things I noticed mostly (to my ears) was some excessive thump in the kick and toms and just a couple of other frequencies that seemed to resonate most noticeably when bringing the volume up, but nothing major at all. The hihats got a little weird, but it might be due to mastering an mp3...to mp3 Smile

I did 2 versions and the only difference between them is how I dealt with the thump. The 1st version, I used a Pultec vst to clean it up statically. The 2nd version, I used a mix of Pultec and dynamic eq which seemed a little less intrusive but I had to be careful or the lows would start dancing around.

Mike

Edit: Added a third version with more glue, I think, and more volume.

thanks for the comments, this is an option that I hope will fulfill your expectations

(02-10-2018, 02:41 PM)pmilani Wrote: Very nice work, sir!
I find the toms are slightly poking out, lots of low end. I like the kick and snare. Nice bass sound.
The vocal reverb/delays maybe is a bit loud, or a bit too invading on the highs, I'd try some eq to sweeten it. The overdriven guitars feel a bit too mono IMO.
Keys are sitting very nicely.
The guitar solo section does not convince me, the song has a crescendo before that, but when the solo starts it feels like some energy went away.

Would love to get your opinion on my new mix as well.
cheers

.mp3    Pray For The Rain.mp3 --  (Download: 13.31 MB)

Hey Carlos, me again Smile I'm glad you enjoyed my 3rd version. Seems like it always takes a couple of warm up attempts before I just dive in and go for it.

Your mix 2 is even better than your first mix. Toms are much less tubby sounding.

I figured I'd do some more mastering practice for you.

The first version is the exact same treatment as my earlier third version and it seems to work pretty good.
The second version is more tailored for the new mix and I added a little crescendo going into the final guitar solo to help lift things up.

Mike

.mp3    Pray For The Rain-CR Mix 2-TNS Mastered 1.mp3 --  (Download: 13.11 MB)

.mp3    Pray For The Rain-CR Mix 2-TNS Mastered 2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.11 MB)

Hi, thanks for your effort. I've been listening to the two masters, the second I like it, I feel that frequencies were lost between 2k-6k, I perceive it especially in snare hides a bit, I do not know if you use multiband compressor, this can be be a good solution

regards

(06-10-2018, 11:29 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: Hey Carlos, me again Smile I'm glad you enjoyed my 3rd version. Seems like it always takes a couple of warm up attempts before I just dive in and go for it.

Your mix 2 is even better than your first mix. Toms are much less tubby sounding.

I figured I'd do some more mastering practice for you.

The first version is the exact same treatment as my earlier third version and it seems to work pretty good.
The second version is more tailored for the new mix and I added a little crescendo going into the final guitar solo to help lift things up.

Mike

Hi Carlos

Thanks so much for mixing our track ! I just had a listen to it this afternoon. I really like the overall mix tonality you achieved - it sounds really warm. The drums sound really good - maybe a little bit sounding like samples, but that is a taste topic. I probably have 2 main observations:

1. width of the mix. Several times I pressed the Mono button on my monitor controller and there wasn't as profound a change when changing back to stereo as I would expect. The drums were where most of the width was coming from. The distorted chorus guitars could be used to help here (as there are two that can be panned) and it would also help get them out of the way of the vocal part
2. Drum level and distorted guitar level - I was listening to your mix with my eyes closed and it felt like the drums were the feature instrument. In the chorus when the distorted guitar came in, I felt the vocal was getting a bit lost.

I like your various effect choices that you had going - nice. The bass guitar needs some 1-2kHz pulled out of it - this is my fault at time of recording. Mike covers this topic in the sound on sound article (March 2015) if you are interested.

Thanks again for taking the time to mix the track and share it !

BR

Thomas

Hello Thomas, thank you for your comments and the dedication to listen to my mix, very good to receive comments from the producer of the song, use your comments to make the changes to this new version, locate the guitars in the space, I worked a little on the BV , this mix does not have any process in the master and although I was tempted to use wider stereo I preferred to enlarge the image from the mix, I hope that the changes approach what you had in mind.

I replaced the mix

regards

(21-01-2019, 01:11 AM)ThomasStevenson Wrote: Hi Carlos

Thanks so much for mixing our track ! I just had a listen to it this afternoon. I really like the overall mix tonality you achieved - it sounds really warm. The drums sound really good - maybe a little bit sounding like samples, but that is a taste topic. I probably have 2 main observations:

1. width of the mix. Several times I pressed the Mono button on my monitor controller and there wasn't as profound a change when changing back to stereo as I would expect. The drums were where most of the width was coming from. The distorted chorus guitars could be used to help here (as there are two that can be panned) and it would also help get them out of the way of the vocal part
2. Drum level and distorted guitar level - I was listening to your mix with my eyes closed and it felt like the drums were the feature instrument. In the chorus when the distorted guitar came in, I felt the vocal was getting a bit lost.

I like your various effect choices that you had going - nice. The bass guitar needs some 1-2kHz pulled out of it - this is my fault at time of recording. Mike covers this topic in the sound on sound article (March 2015) if you are interested.

Thanks again for taking the time to mix the track and share it !

BR

Thomas