• 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Dino On The Loose: 'Queen's Light'
My Mix

Fun Mix!!

Comments always Welcome!

Cheers

KSmile

Version 2

Cleaned up the Tom tracks as Don Suggested and brought the snare down a tad.

Cheers
KSmile

.mp3    Dino on the loose-QueensLight-04.mp3 --  (Download: 11.33 MB)

.mp3    Dino on the loose-QueensLight-05.mp3 --  (Download: 11.33 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey Kirk ,
Nice solid mix , can hear some nasty loose resonating of the tom tracks especially from tom 1 !
I ended up muting the toms to tighten up the drums but nothing a gate wouldn't fix .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(16-06-2018, 06:46 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Kirk ,
Nice solid mix , can hear some nasty loose resonating of the tom tracks especially from tom 1 !
I ended up muting the toms to tighten up the drums but nothing a gate wouldn't fix .

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don

Ill clean it up and repost

Cheers
KSmile

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Captain, this sounds like a fun one to mix Big Grin

Listening to 05 v2

You are clipping this pretty hard on the buss Angry. There's also a lack of transitional dynamics in the music, like it's all banging along at one level? This can lose interest because of lack of contrast, despite the funky nature and it's potential. It loses emotional credit for me personally.

The low end needs refining, it's cluttering/muddying up the soundstage quite considerably and really badly in the mono downmix. You also seem to be pushing the trebles hard possibly for this reason. Some of this gets harsh on the hotter transients and from build up. If you fix the low and low mids, then move to the trebles you'll be winning.

Hope this helps you and others Angel
"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(16-06-2018, 02:03 PM)Monk Wrote: Captain, this sounds like a fun one to mix Big Grin

Listening to 05 v2

You are clipping this pretty hard on the buss Angry. There's also a lack of transitional dynamics in the music, like it's all banging along at one level? This can lose interest because of lack of contrast, despite the funky nature and it's potential. It loses emotional credit for me personally.

The low end needs refining, it's cluttering/muddying up the soundstage quite considerably and really badly in the mono downmix. You also seem to be pushing the trebles hard possibly for this reason. Some of this gets harsh on the hotter transients and from build up. If you fix the low and low mids, then move to the trebles you'll be winning.

Hope this helps you and others Angel
Hi Monk

Thanks for taking the time, Ill give that a try in the next version.

Cheers
KSmile

I'm sorry it took so long for me to give this a listen; my normal "off time" to spend mixing has been busy lately.

I liked the balance and the tracks you chose to accent versus my own choices. Nice work! Now you've made me go back to the mix and check out what I've done. A1StereoControl is on each of the stereo synth tracks, and again on the synth bus. Surprisingly, I've got reverb inserts just about everywhere, something I rarely ever do. The mono Synth 4 is panned hard left... I could've automated that so it moves around a bit now and then.
Peace,
Dave
Mid 2019 Mac Pro; Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 USB2 audio interface; Logic Pro X; FabFilter C2, DS, L1, Q3, R, Saturn2, Timeless2 ; Native Instruments Komplete 13; Waves 12 Gold; Rokit 6 G3 monitors; AKG K240 MKII and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro cans.
(21-06-2018, 05:45 PM)davemcg61 Wrote: I'm sorry it took so long for me to give this a listen; my normal "off time" to spend mixing has been busy lately.

I liked the balance and the tracks you chose to accent versus my own choices. Nice work! Now you've made me go back to the mix and check out what I've done. A1StereoControl is on each of the stereo synth tracks, and again on the synth bus. Surprisingly, I've got reverb inserts just about everywhere, something I rarely ever do. The mono Synth 4 is panned hard left... I could've automated that so it moves around a bit now and then.

Thanks Dave
I appreciate the listen and comments, yeah sometimes other things get in the way of mixing time, it does for me too. I think I might have used the A1 on the synths too.. getting old cant remember .. lol!
Cheers
KSmile