Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kangoro - King Rascal
Really inspiring material, I listened to this up a few weeks ago and kinda worked out the mix in my mind before loading it up.

My mastered and mix go at this is attached.

Note: the master to this is really aggressive designed to stand up to some of the rock references I listen to (like Green Day Revolution Radio). Though this is a UK Hip Hop genre song, I feel the rock edge worked for my view of the song style.

Edit: Adding my medley of 3 songs, linked 24-bit 44.1 master file:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldruglord...+Medly.wav

1) Rockshow
2) King Rascal
3) Clinic A

.m4a    King Rascal - Master.m4a --  (Download: 6.53 MB)

.m4a    King Rascal - MIX.m4a --  (Download: 6.72 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
hi! sounds great! to me your masters always have a very appealing limiting/saturation/clipping character. care to elaborate? specific tool/workflow you rely on? anyways, keep up the good work! ^_^
(14-06-2018, 10:09 AM)kapu Wrote: hi! sounds great! to me your masters always have a very appealing limiting/saturation/clipping character. care to elaborate? specific tool/workflow you rely on? anyways, keep up the good work! ^_^

Thanks.. I'm an open book in here... BTW, I just added a 3 song master medley of this group..

For starters:

I had to invest in analog summing. The newer stuff I'm posting is employing analog summing using an SSL Sigma. It's pricey but for my goals, there was no other way to get them, as all the other material I posted here used Waves NLS (or a similar summing emulator).

I keep my plugin use as minimum as I can, but Softube Console 1 on every channel, I can switch between SSL 4000, 9000 or the Neve plugs in the console 1. My go to 90% of the time is the SSL 9000 profile in the Console 1 with "Drive" on 5.0 for each channel (this is the recommended setting from Softube to meet the saturation of the modeled hardware). This is now coupled to the Sigma summing, which makes all plugins now sound like the hardware counterpart. I'm really happy where the capabilities are in my setup now to operate on a mix the way I hear it in my mind when evaluating mixes to do.

I've been building my mastering side for a couple of years now, finally having found a workflow I'm happy with: I now print mixes in analog using the Sigma XLR balanced outs, into a A/D using Wavelab. I then use ProTools for mastering, these new ups are using the new Softube Weiss DS1 MkIII plugins, which is a 1:1 code copy of the actual mastering box. I use the Weiss De-Esser on the mix output and in the mastering chain. In the mastering chain, at the very beginning, Fabfilter or Ozone 7 EQ to cut bottom with a low shelf with a minimum @40hrz (higher up to @55hrz for less bass intensive music). At the very end of the chain is the Universal Audio BAX EQ (Dangerous Music plugin) which I use to smooth/shape any necessary highs (based on song feel) past the Weiss De-Esser.

Enjoying the way songs "reveal" themselves in the mix now with my updated setup, and the progress I've made in the past year brushing up my skillset.

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(14-06-2018, 10:29 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: Thanks.. I'm an open book in here... [...]

thanks! after reading your post, instead of upgrading the computer, invested in a uad system. so far its been awesome. only downside is that even though i bought an octo dsp, im running out of dsp power, so i guess i have to buy a second octo. ^_^