Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Dark Ride - Hammer Down (Final Frandicterus Mix) (FREE COOKIE INSIDE!)
As you can see, I'm a man of my word:

[Image: FNM_090112-Mix-and-Match-Classic-Cookies...3_s4x3.jpg]

Looking forward to hearing what y'all think!

.mp3    hammerdown master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.58 MB)

If anyone's in the mood for something a tad louder, here's an older, not-as-technically good mix I did a few weeks before (Drive link because WAV file):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14liQjos...sp=sharing
Hey man mix sounding very nice!
I especially like the kick work. Some things that stand out to me is the toms. They are poking out in a distractive way. Knocking them back a lil wouldn't hurt your balance.
Overall would love more in your face guitars but that's just a personal thing. And the solo has too much reverb in my opinion.

Overall great work you got here. Keep it up. Have you heard blitzz new "máster mix " by a professional engineer?. The power there is something you should try to mimic. It's an awesome reference if you want to step up your game.

Saludos.
(19-06-2018, 02:50 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey man mix sounding very nice!
I especially like the kick work. Some things that stand out to me is the toms. They are poking out in a distractive way. Knocking them back a lil wouldn't hurt your balance.
Overall would love more in your face guitars but that's just a personal thing. And the solo has too much reverb in my opinion.

Overall great work you got here. Keep it up. Have you heard blitzz new "máster mix " by a professional engineer?. The power there is something you should try to mimic. It's an awesome reference if you want to step up your game.

Saludos.

Hey thanks for the feedback! Do you feel like the toms themselves are too loud, or do they have annoying frequencies that are ringing out?

I *did* end up taking some of the balls out of the guitars, but it was because I wanted to get everything as balanced as I could which unfortunately meant sacrificing the guitars a bit.

I did hear the professional mix, but to be honest I wasn't a fan of it. But y'know, different strokes for different folks. I will say that it doesn't have annoying high end that rings out like mine does -- I haven't been able to figure out how to tame that.

Thanks again for the feedback!
(21-06-2018, 07:21 PM)Frandicterus Wrote:
(19-06-2018, 02:50 AM)Shul Wrote:

Hey thanks for the feedback! Do you feel like the toms themselves are too loud, or do they have annoying frequencies that are ringing out?

I *did* end up taking some of the balls out of the guitars, but it was because I wanted to get everything as balanced as I could which unfortunately meant sacrificing the guitars a bit.

I did hear the professional mix, but to be honest I wasn't a fan of it. But y'know, different strokes for different folks. I will say that it doesn't have annoying high end that rings out like mine does -- I haven't been able to figure out how to tame that.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Yes they are just a lil loud to the point where it makes you pay attention to them in my opinion.

That's cool everyone sees and hears mixes different. I also thought the guitars were not as bright in the pro mix but the overall sound he got because of it was Brett huge and in your face. I tried to do mine as close but what I have no clue about is the bass.. That bass he was able to got is amazing. No idea how he did that.

I do, and it's easy. Split the bass into two tracks, lowcut one at 500hz, highcut the other track at 200-250hz, maybe lower depending on the song/tuning.

You now have two bass tracks, lets call them low bass and high bass.

Put L1 on the low bass track and hammer it until you have no movement at all. I mean ZERO dynamics. STOP when you hear too much distortion and back it off a little. Done.

Now make a conscious decision if you want to put the low bass track below or above the kick and either carve a hole in your low bass track for the kick (if you want the kick to be above the bass) OR use a low cut filter on the low bass track and cut the bass until there is no bass sound at and below the kick frequency. Sometimes you have to be drastic, sometimes they fit naturally, but the low bass and kick track should sound like a unit.

Now put a distortion plugin on the high bass track, maybe boost 750 hz with a broad q (it works wonders - believe me), filter out some of the nasty stuff (if needed - don't kill it) and use L1 again to the kill the dynamics. Use the volume faders of both channels to blend them into the mix.

done.

Two bass tracks

You can also use the Nolly method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq62X1hQoFY

(22-06-2018, 03:22 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: I do, and it's easy. Split the bass into two tracks, lowcut one at 500hz, highcut the other track at 200-250hz, maybe lower depending on the song/tuning.

You now have two bass tracks, lets call them low bass and high bass.

Put L1 on the low bass track and hammer it until you have no movement at all. I mean ZERO dynamics. STOP when you hear too much distortion and back it off a little. Done.

Now make a conscious decision if you want to put the low bass track below or above the kick and either carve a hole in your low bass track for the kick (if you want the kick to be above the bass) OR use a low cut filter on the low bass track and cut the bass until there is no bass sound at and below the kick frequency. Sometimes you have to be drastic, sometimes they fit naturally, but the low bass and kick track should sound like a unit.

Now put a distortion plugin on the high bass track, maybe boost 750 hz with a broad q (it works wonders - believe me), filter out some of the nasty stuff (if needed - don't kill it) and use L1 again to the kill the dynamics. Use the volume faders of both channels to blend them into the mix.

done.

Two bass tracks

You can also use the Nolly method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq62X1hQoFY

Damn.. I did something similar but I didn't split the HP LP filters.. I just added an extra track with hight end distort. I shall try this in the later days when I really open the project. Thanks blitzz. Hope you can swing by my mix to give me some pointers on it. Smile