Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My Father... Trafficker AndyGallasMix
Thanks for the tracks! Was fun to mix.

Andy

.mp3    MyFatherNever_AndyGMix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.45 MB)

Nice solid mix Andy ,
The kick might be hitting the master limiter a touch to much .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I think this is one of my faves on this song. Guitars sound very smooth and I like that. Good job overall.
Seen other mixes and wow every single one sounds so different.. I wonder why thou. Gonna have to open it up my self.
(10-06-2018, 09:45 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice solid mix Andy ,

Cheers :D

Thank you! There is almost no limiting though ;)
(11-06-2018, 05:06 AM)Shul Wrote: I think this is one of my faves on this song. Guitars sound very smooth and I like that. Good job overall.
Seen other mixes and wow every single one sounds so different.. I wonder why thou. Gonna have to open it up my self.

Thank you! Btw there is no eq on the guitars (but on the master bus).
I think you used lots of the room track? I can hear a lot of cloudy roomy mids, coming from the drums. Otherwise cool mix!

Cheers,
LukasAngel
(11-06-2018, 11:12 AM)AndyGallas Wrote:

Cheers Big Grin

Thank you! There is almost no limiting though Wink

You are both wrong. Everything hitting the limiter hard. That's why it sound horrible, like pushing burnt toast in your ears; not done that myself, but I can imagine. Be mindful that burnt toast is a carcinogen Tongue

Thumbnail(s)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
(11-06-2018, 09:20 PM)LukasL Wrote: I think you used lots of the room track? I can hear a lot of cloudy roomy mids, coming from the drums. Otherwise cool mix!

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Thanks! The level of the room mic is a bit lower than the overheads.
(12-06-2018, 09:50 AM)Monk Wrote:
(11-06-2018, 11:12 AM)AndyGallas Wrote:

Cheers Big Grin

Thank you! There is almost no limiting though Wink

You are both wrong. Everything hitting the limiter hard. That's why it sound horrible, like pushing burnt toast in your ears; not done that myself, but I can imagine. Be mindful that burnt toast is a carcinogen Tongue

You need a measurement to explain that it sounds horrible to you? And no the limiter has a GR about 1 or 2 db triggered by the kick.
(12-06-2018, 12:18 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: You need a measurement to explain that it sounds horrible to you?

I don't, but I thought you might thank me for an unambiguous non-subjective statement of fact, so I put your mp3 through a calibrated meter.

Maybe use a meter which doesn't tell lies (not all meters are equal) until your brain understands what clipping distortion sounds like. If you play an electric guitar, for example, or suffer hearing impairment, these things can cause habit forming needs that require harsh artifacts, it's perhaps something to be aware of when problem solving.

If it was only the kick doing the damage, would there be 89,539 reconstructed peaks? I'm hearing bigger problems. The brain can be easily fooled, which is why I posted the image for you.

Here's another Tongue It shows it's not only the kick that's the cause of the nasty noise. You've participated in this fantastic educational forum for 4 years, so why doesn't this sound horrible to you too?

Post the mix up if your mastering skills are off. Some even post up both which is an excellent idea. Then get a limiter that tells you about inter-sample peaks and back off the wall to -1dBFS meanwhile. 0dBFS is a throwback to the loudness war era Wink

Peace brother

Thumbnail(s)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.