Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#07 Borderline - "Dude, what'd you do to my solo?"
"Holy compressors, Batman; the boogeyA&Rman came by night and took some liberties with this jewel of a song!"

Ok, so this is my first time with a only 4 mics drums recording and it's been some education. OH's were split to 2 tracks (verse and chorus) with different stereo treatments trying to narrow the stereo field without making it full mono. Maybe it's because of mixing on cans, but I get pretty anal about how drum parts are spread over and these OH's image was wide. How you guys do to keep control over this?. Do you try to proccess OH's to center kick/snare, do you filter low end, don't bother at all?

Worked my arse off riding this vocal, and then ducked the second acoustic guitar (AG2) after it so it stayed clear and on top of the track. Then I ducked AG1 after AG2, second electric (EG2) after EG1 and finally both EG1 and EG2 after the guitar solo track. If this makes any sense, I dunno. If it came out right by any chance, that was pure luck.

I'm kind of half satisfied on this one, though listening to the work of fellow members Lydkjell (his TomPetty inspired version) and Jazzie, it's like they were going after a similar atmos, only they nailed some things I'm not so happy with.

Sorry for the little essay, but my English is in serious need to exercise,
have an excellent week!

.mp3    07 - Secretariat - Borderline (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 9.19 MB)

Hey Deliza,
here are a few things i noticed.

- Sybilant reverb on the vocal
- snare a bit honky (400Hz? 800Hz?)
- Rythm electrics fuzzy (the left one)
- vocal bit low-mid mud (sounds a bit like sininging through a blanket)
- a bit more width and volume on the acoustics in the intro. the toms feel lost out there.

Overall the mix feels a bit busy to me. Something is off balance (maybe stereo spectrum)

+ Nice ring on the snare
+ good vocal level

I like the production idea of the cut out solo. I think that the complete silence is a bit much, maybe leave the reverb tails intact.
After the cut, more epicness is needed. Use the panning knobs xD

Fade out is nice, could carry on longer.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Hi Deliza

Sounds good on my Monitors .. good balance, you did a great job on the drums for first time doing a 4 mic setup
All in all, super mix
The only thing that startled me was the short stop, maybe that's good .. lol!

Great Job!!
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.