Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers: Rescue Me
This is a beautiful song. Amy's voice has that folk/soul that is easy to listen to, imo.

Please tell me what you think. Don't hold back. I need to learn.

Thanks,
Gamma Smile

.mp3    rescue-me-v1.mp3 --  (Download: 5 MB)

G'day Gamma,

I like your work here. The mix translates well at my end and also plays well through the laptop speakers which is always important. I think your processing has been tastefully applied. For a suggestion moving forward, I think you could move the guitar parts out to the sides leaving the vox and bass up the middle. I think the electric rhythm parts would play off nicely against the acoustic guitar, or is it a mandolin not sure? I don't think you'll need to pan overly wide with this, just enough to open up the mix and clear room for the vox. If you listen carefully you'll hear that the electric guitar part becomes a little buried at times sitting behind the vox. So these panning moves should give it it's own space.

An enjoyable listen. Well Done.

Dave
Dave,

Thank you!

I worked on bringing out the guitar by bringing it over to the left about half way (43 Left, out of a 100). Good ears, you where right: it is a mandolin. The mandolin is about 43 to the right, and this opened up the center for the lead vox and bass. Everything is clearer.

Also, I tried to get the ride to have more ping than wash. Almost got it. The ride comes in during the guitar feature. The drummer is using a Moeller technique to get those constant 16ths and he's really even (rhythm wise). Since the bass plays a syncopated 16th note feel, I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring out the 16ths on the hi-hat and ride through out using eq. I love that ping sound. Of course, I think I could ever go further to try to get more ping out of the ride. What do you think? More ping in the ride?

Well, thanks for the input. I could ramble all day. It you hear anything else, please let me know.

Have a good day/night,
Gamma Smile

.mp3    rescue-me-v2.mp3 --  (Download: 5 MB)

Hey Gamma

Nice Job! Sounds Nice in the headphones! very smooth.

Dave had some great suggestions and you pulled them off nicely..

Moeller Technique! Do we have a drummer here?

Great Job!!

KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Great work Gamma, that balance is coming along nicely. Have you added some width to the drums with this latest pass? I think they may sound better mono-ed up some what (audience perspective). Now with a wide stereo image, there is little grounding in the mix as far as placement. If that makes sense. The drums could provide this. Worth experimenting with anyway I reckon.
I don't really have a problem with the ride sound, but this then becomes a stylistic choice so run with it if think it can bring something to the table. A transient controller will make it fairly easy to dial the timbre you're after. While you are at it, It may be worth experimenting with the transient controller to tame the attack of the mandolin also which is a little brazen as it is. Soften it just to match in with the style of the song.
That been said, the mix translates very well on my monitors as it stands. So just have play and experiment. The best learning exercise going.Big Grin

Dave
(08-06-2018, 07:26 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Gamma

Nice Job! Sounds Nice in the headphones! very smooth.

Dave had some great suggestions and you pulled them off nicely..

Moeller Technique! Do we have a drummer here?

Great Job!!

KSmile

he he he. Yep. I was a drummer.

Later K
Gamma Smile
(08-06-2018, 10:08 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Great work Gamma, that balance is coming along nicely. ...
Dave

Hey Dave,

I added reverb to the drums in the latest pass. They really popped out of the mix with the reverb. Maybe too much. Let me try taking a little off it and make sure they are dead center.

I have a transient plugin. I'm gonna put it on the mandolin and see what happens. I'm not exactly sure how to use the transient plugin. Perhaps I use the presents. It has a present called softer attack. Do you think that would work on the mandolin? Don't answer. Only one way to find out, I'll try it. Like you said, experiment.

I must say, these are fabulous musicians. Of course, even fabulous musicians have a timing thing here and there. Specifically I'm thinking about the mandolin. I think Amy plays it. There are two or three chucks that are ahead of the beat. I notice them, does anyone else? The only reason I asks is because it has a human feel, and I don't want to lose that, but if you guys hear mandolin slightly ahead in a few spots, perhaps they should be corrected. I realize this is a judgement call and I'd like input on this matter.

Thanks Dave!
Talk to you later,
Gamma

Hey Gamma

I personally would leave it alone, like you said, it has that human feel. either way, thats totally up to you.

Sometimes quantizing stuff gets too sterile to me, Imagine some of Bonhams tracks being quantized. lol. He was a master of knowing when to be ahead and when to be behind the beat. On the other hand, Portnoy and Pert sometimes quantize their performance. No rules here.

That being said, If something sounds really bad, bad note, extreme timing problem, something totally out of place, Ill try to fix it.

Hope that helps
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.